The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 21, 2024 3:56 am  #1

60 Years Ago

It was January, 1964 when the Beatles began their domination of the American Top 40 radio.  I was doing the DJ thing back then and it was quite the experience.  My station (KTEO in TX) had played one of their early VeeJay releases around September of 1963 and it was on our playlist about a week with no audience response.  Interestingly one of my USAF buddies had mentioned the Beatles to me about that same time.  He had been stationed at our base in Scotland so he had witnessed the impact they had on the U.K. and wondered why he hadn't heard them in the U.S.  What fun it was being a DJ then.  The audience was really listening and phoning in their requests, especially when yet another British group showed up.  I doubt we'll ever see a time like that again but I certainly am glad I got to play the hits when it was really fun!

January 22, 2024 7:14 am  #2

Re: 60 Years Ago

Jim, I remember how much fun it was just listening to the Top 40! It was a great diversified list that opened my eyes to the different genres of music.You could hear Elvis one minute Perry Como the next and Tennessee Ernie Ford the next! I know it must have been a hoot spinning those discs!

January 22, 2024 5:03 pm  #3

Re: 60 Years Ago

January 1964?
Billboard Hot 100 on January 18:
Highest Debut: The Beatles - "I Want To Hold Your Hand" (No. 45)

Billboard Hot 100 on January 25:
Biggest Mover: The Beatles - "I Want To Hold Your Hand" (from 45th to 3rd)

Board footera