The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 5, 2024 10:36 am  #1

How The Monkees Almost Got A Different Name

They hired all the actors, they had many of the songs. But what they lacked was a name. According to the article below, the producers of what became The Monkees brainstormed for weeks trying to come up with a name for the Faux Four before the show's network debut. 

They noticed a lot of groups - The Beatles, The Byrds, etc. - seemed to be named after animals or other creatures. So they came up with what they thought was the perfect name: The Parrots. Yes, the Monkees could have been called The Parrots. 

But Davy Jones, for one, didn't want to let this Polly have his cracker. 

"Jones strongly resisted the latter name due to the suggestion that they wear parrots on their shoulders during tapings. “Not me, man. I ain’t having no parrot on me,'” he recalled of his reaction. “Can you imagine? ‘Hey, hey, we’re The Parrots!’ No way.”

Parrots frequently copy human speech. And the band was in effect, copying the Beatles. So it could have worked. But yeah, wearing parrots on their shoulders would have been a deal breaker for me, as well!

Behind the Band Name: The Monkees

February 5, 2024 10:51 am  #2

Re: How The Monkees Almost Got A Different Name

That same site linked to above has an interesting story about "I'm A Believer," a huge Monkees hit that was written by Neil Diamond. When he allowed the group to record the song, his record label execs. went crazy, figuring he was giving away a hit he could have had. 

But Diamond didn't care if the song went gold. 

"...the head of my record company freaked. He went through the roof because he felt that I had given No. 1 records away to another group. I couldn’t have cared less because I had to pay the rent, and The Monkees were selling records, and I wasn’t being paid for my records.”

The other revelation: Mike Nesmith had no confidence in the song, insisted it would never be a hit, and he was thrown out of the studio by producer Jeff Barry when it was being made. So he wasn't present when one of their best songs was being recorded.

The Meaning Behind “I’m a Believer,” The Neil Diamond Song that Helped Rocket The Monkees to New Heights

Board footera