The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 7, 2024 11:07 pm  #1

Steve Lawrence dies at age 88

I didn't know that his very lengthy and illustrious career had begun with a hit record while he was still in high school. From the following obituary:

Lawrence launched his professional singing career at age 15. After two failed auditions for “Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts” TV show, he was accepted on the third try, going on to win the competition and the prize of appearing on Godfrey's popular daytime radio show for a week.

King Records, impressed by the teenager's strong, two-octave voice, signed him to a contract. His first record, "Poinciana," sold more than 100,000 copies, and his high school allowed him to skip classes to promote it with out-of-town singing dates.

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/steve-lawrence-singer-entertainer-half-popular-stage-duo-107896607

March 8, 2024 12:00 am  #2

Re: Steve Lawrence dies at age 88

I have been a fan of Steve Lawrence since my senior year in high school,when "Pretty Blue Eyes" and "Footsteps" were on my car radio every time I was behind the wheel.  In 1962 his "Go Away Little Girl"' hit the charts soon after I started my pro DJ career.  He had 24 total chart appearances. with 5 'Top 10's on 4 different labels.  He was the perfect guest with his appearances on the "Carol Burnett Show".  Thank you Steve for all the music and the memories!!

Board footera