The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 30, 2019 4:36 pm  #1

I Get Around!!

As the son of a U.S.Navy officer and as a traveling sales rep, I have pretty much been all over the U.S.A.  Therefore I have always enjoyed songs that mention cities I've been to.  So, to make my list more complete, I'll ask the board folks to mention ones I forget.  To make it more specific here are the parameters.....
1) It needs to be the full name of an actual city or town.
2) No nicknames ("San Antone") or neighborhoods (Hollywood)
3) The boards era 1954 - 1979).
4) Pop chart only (C&W are OK if they made the Hot 100)
Here's what I can remember....
A) I've Been Everywhere..Hank Snow (the king of this topic)
B) Kansas City...Wilbert Harrison (I actually stood on the corner of 12th st. & Vine)
C) Please Come To Boston (& Denver)...Dave Loggins
D) El Paso...Marty Robbins
E) Houston...Dean Martin
F) Abilene...Geo. Hamilton IV
G) New Orleans
    Freddy Cannon...Way Down Yonder...
    Chuck Berry...Johnny B Goode
    Fats Domino...Walking To...
    Gary U.S.Bonds
    Lonnie Donegan...Rock Island Line
H) Folsom Prison Blues (How was he in a California prison for a Nevada crime "shot a man in Reno"??
I)  Seattle...Perry Como
J)  Tallahassee Lassie &
     Chattanooga Shoe Shine Boy...Freddy Cannon
K)  I have to mention "Salt Lake City" from the Beach Boys "Summer Days (& Summer Nights) LP, since I spent a goodly number of my DJ days there.
What did I miss??

August 30, 2019 4:53 pm  #2

Re: I Get Around!!

"San Francisco" by Scott McKenzie and "San Franciscan Nights" by the Animals are two that instantly come to mind. 

August 30, 2019 5:12 pm  #3

Does Tanya Tucker’s San Antonio Stroll count? It’s not really about the city.
Galveston Glen Campbell
New York, New York Frank Sinatra
Little Old Lady From Pasadena Jan & Dean
Tulsa Time Don Williams

Last edited by Taz (August 30, 2019 5:24 pm)

August 30, 2019 6:13 pm  #4

By The Time I Get To Phoenix - Glen Campbell
Allentown - Billy Joel
King of the Road (Lyrics: "Destination: Bangor, Maine") - Roger Miller
Rock & Roll Girls (Lyrics: "Shuffle off to Buffalo") - John Fogerty
Little Green Apples (Lyrics: "And it don't rain in Indianapolis in the summertime") - O.C. Smith
Indiana Wants Me - R. Dean Taylor
Mississippi - John Phillips (which also mentions "Louisville")
Memphis - Johnny Rivers
Jackson - Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood
Ohio - Crosby, Stills & Nash
Do You Know The Way To San Jose - Dionne Warwick
Tallahassee Lassie - Freddy Cannon
24 Hours From Tulsa - Gene Pitney
Lodi- CCR
Philadelphia Freedom - Elton John
Arizona - Mark Lindsay

August 31, 2019 6:04 am  #5

A city that can’t be mentioned too often
Kansas City Star Roger Miller

August 31, 2019 7:08 am  #6

Detroit City-Bobby Bare
St. Louis Blues-Lavern Baker

August 31, 2019 7:53 am  #7

Detroit Breakdown - J Geils
Detroit Rock City - Kiss

August 31, 2019 10:24 am  #8

Lucille - Kenny Rogers: In a bar in Toledo, across from the depot ...

August 31, 2019 3:58 pm  #9

"Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell

August 31, 2019 8:05 pm  #10

Honolulu Lulu - Jan & Dean
What's Your Name - Lynyrd Skynyrd: Well, it's eight o'clock in Boise, Idaho ...

August 31, 2019 9:20 pm  #11

The Anaheim, Azusa & Cucamonga Sewing Circle, Book Review and Timing Association Jan & Dean

August 31, 2019 10:56 pm  #12

Lorne wrote:

Lucille - Kenny Rogers: In a bar in Toledo, across from the depot ...

I completely forgot that one.  I wanted to come up with something with Toledo...I don't believe Saturday Night In Toledo Ohio was in the top 100..so I had to settle with Detroit.  

Also, I thought Simon & Garfunkel had a song about Kalamazoo but I couldn't find it.

August 31, 2019 11:34 pm  #13

Someone told me it's all happening at Kalamazoo ... ok, that's probably not what you were thinking of. I will add that Ronnie Hawkins was left stranded in Kalamazoo by "Mary Lou".
And I did sense that you might have posted about Detroit in lieu of something more local, so I thought I'd help out. But this brings to mind something that I read many years ago about what was actually across from the Toledo depot ... I don't remember what it was, but it kind of called into question the song's Toledo cred.

September 1, 2019 5:26 am  #14

does Stonewall Jackson's "Waterloo" qualify?

G.   

September 1, 2019 6:22 am  #15

Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay by Otis Redding reminds us that "I left my home in Georgia heading for the Frisco Bay..."

September 1, 2019 7:12 am  #16

The Night Chicago Died Paper Lace
I Left My Heart in San Francisco Tony Bennett

New Orleans is popular, couple more
The Battle of New Orleans Johnny Horton
Big Bad John Jimmy Dean

September 1, 2019 8:13 am  #17

Lorne wrote:

Someone told me it's all happening at Kalamazoo ... ok, that's probably not what you were thinking of. I will add that Ronnie Hawkins was left stranded in Kalamazoo by "Mary Lou".
And I did sense that you might have posted about Detroit in lieu of something more local, so I thought I'd help out. But this brings to mind something that I read many years ago about what was actually across from the Toledo depot ... I don't remember what it was, but it kind of called into question the song's Toledo cred.

I may have been wrong about that when we discussed it years ago.  At that time, I was relying on an article in The Toledo Blade which mentioned that there wasn't a bar across from the depot, then in later years, some reporter talked of the bar and depot, so I'm confused as well.  

September 1, 2019 8:26 am  #18

Outside US
Jamaica Farewell Harry Belafonte (Kingston)

Montego Bay Bobby Bloom is tricky because it wasn’t proclaimed to be a city until 1980 but the song was in the time period.

September 1, 2019 8:34 am  #19

Thanks very much, Karen. I was actually forgetting about us discussing this on the board. I really couldn't remember anything about this other than being kind of amused by this, but at the same time not that surprised given that the writers probaly just liked the way that depot rhymed with Toledo. I wonder if the bar that the other reporter discussed isn't directly across from the depot, but rather the closest bar to being across from it. And I can see where a nearby bar might want to claim this status, because it could help bring in some extra business. Just a thought. 

September 1, 2019 9:59 am  #20

Jim Southern wrote:

B) Kansas City...Wilbert Harrison (I actually stood on the corner of 12th st. & Vine)

When were you here?  Vine no longer intersects with 12th St but never fear, you can still find it, a sign post is still there on the north side of 12th St. as if the intersection still existed.  You can still “be standing on the corner”, they are there on the south side although the street pavement for what would be Vine only goes a few feet.

The software doesn't like the link so you'll have to cut and paste it:

[url]https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0992846,-94.5629095,102m/data=!3m1!1e3[/url]

If you go to street view, you can see the sign on the north side.

Last edited by Taz (September 1, 2019 10:05 am)

September 1, 2019 11:09 am  #21

Rick Nelson: Travelin' Man: Hong Kong (which may soon have a name change), Berlin, not to mention the countries and states
Johnny Horton: North To Alaska: Nome, Seattle
Johnny Horton: Springtime In Alaska: Fairbanks, Point Barren (fictitious place)
Glen Campbell: Country Boy (You Got Your Feet In LA): Los Angeles

September 1, 2019 1:26 pm  #22

Chuck Berry: "Back in the U.S.A"  New York, Los Angeles, Detroit, Chicago, Chattanooga and (my hometown) Baton Rouge.

September 1, 2019 3:49 pm  #23

The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot: Cleveland, Detroit
Uneasy Rider - Charlie Daniels: Jackson, Antioch (although possibly just a church name), Omaha

September 2, 2019 7:03 am  #24

"Tucumcari" by Jimmie Rodgers
New Orleans and Salinas in "Me and Bobby McGee"

September 2, 2019 8:02 am  #25

Nashville Cats The Lovin' Spoonful
What Made Milwaukee Famous Jerry Lee Lewis

September 2, 2019 9:26 am  #26

Dancing In The Street by Martha & the Vandellas mentions Chicago, New York City, the ever-popular New Orleans, Philadelphia, and Baltimore. But the Mamas & Papas also made the Hot 100 with it, and at the end of their version there is some bantering between Cass and Denny involving other places. Cass starts with Halifax, which is where Denny was from. The next part of their banter is hard to make out. but after that they mention Manchester, Amherst, Alexandria, Falls Church, and Boyle Heights.

September 2, 2019 10:32 am  #27

Streets of Baltimore-Bobby Bare.

September 2, 2019 12:39 pm  #28

Lefty Frizell's "Saginaw, Michigan"

September 2, 2019 12:48 pm  #29

Little Rich wrote:

, Point Barren (fictitious place)

Probably meant Point Barrow, which is a real place (I've been there). The Inuit call it Utqiagvik, but that might be a little difficult to rhyme.

September 2, 2019 1:57 pm  #30

Yes, when I saw Rich's post I thought that it was probably a takeoff on Point Barrow -- and a rather clever one, given the location (Point Barrow is the northernmost point in the US).

Board footera