The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 30, 2019 10:10 pm  #1

Jerry Butler.....and others

Mention of Jerry's He Will Break Your Heat in another thread caused me to  reminisce about this.  I saw The Impressions' 25th Anniversary tour show.  Quite a spectacular.  Jerry Butler, the original Impressions (including Curtis Mayfield) and whoever were the usurpers who were touring as the Impressions at that time.  25th Anniversary is silver, and they had the most beautiful silver suits - not the gaudy metallic silver, but a very elegant muted silver.  Quite a show.  But I had a revelation that day, the kind of thing that makes you go "I should have known that, but...."  To sing this song, Jerry walked onstage with Curtis Mayfield (co-writer of the song) and Curtis played that light, lilting intro, and he and Jerry proceeded to sing the song together.   I had always taken for granted that was Jerry harmonizing with himself.  But it wasn't, and Jerry and Curtis delivered a perfect performance.  Always nice to learn something you didn't know.

And Jerry being the elegant guy he is, it didn't take long for the folks at the PBS Doo Wop Shows to turn the hosting duties over to him.  He was so right for the  job.   Of course, if Otis Redding had lived, that could have been different. 

WLAC DJ Hoss Allen had a short-lived syndicated TV show called The!!!!Beat.  Many of the episodes are available on YouTube.  Hoss' tendency to imbibe was well known, and there is a famous episode where Hoss became so incapacitated, shall we say, that they pulled him off, and threw it to Otis to host.  Pretty weird, the whole story seems to be that the show was cancelled, so Hoss did his thing.  (But I know I've seen the full thing, not available now.  Because Hoss came on, did the introduction, and introduced Otis who sang Mr. Pitiful.  (One of my faves)   But the one they show now doesn't show Hoss on the intro, and starts with Otis in the middle of his song.  So you know there's been some creative editing.

But the point here is, they just threw this at Otis, he had no time to prepare or anything, and he did a fantastic job.  (If I had been the people from Show Biz, I would have immediately renewed the show, and made Otis the host.  That's how good and charismatic he was!)  But I did have to laugh when he referred to Garnet Mimms as "another little short fellow."  When I looked at it a second time, I could see he introduced Percy Sledge just before, and Percy looked pretty short beside Otis as well.

But to pull this all back together, I still find it surprising Jerry Butler is listed as co-writer of I've Been Loving You Too Long to Stop Now.  I would really be curious as to how that happened.  I never would have thought of the two of them collaborating.  And I don't hear anything that sounds like Jerry in the song - but there is always just so much we don't - or may never - know.

August 30, 2019 10:25 pm  #2

Re: Jerry Butler.....and others

And nobody ever asked.

September 3, 2019 4:33 am  #3

great memories, flo, it had to have been excellent in any case, regardless of wardrobe. not to make light of that in any sense, but in regard to jerry, whenever i think of him, my first thought always is, if i ever get in trouble i hope his lawyer is still alive and practicing.

Last edited by gopher (September 3, 2019 4:35 am)

September 3, 2019 1:53 pm  #4

Did some searching and found some good info about I’ve Been Loving You Too Long at https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?10018-Jerry-Butler-A-Success-Story :

By that time, Butler had reunited with Mayfield, dragging him back into the music business after Mayfield had all but abandoned it and was working at the Alfred Dunhill cigar shop downtown. In those years, his greatest songwriting success arrived in part by accident: “I’ve Been Loving You Too Long,” which he co-wrote with Otis Redding. “I’ll give you a Michael Jordan, now — he co-wrote it with me,” Butler said with a chuckle. “I had been toying with this idea — I’ve been loving you too long to stop now — for about a year and a half.”
After a show in which they shared a bill in Buffalo, New York, in a strange town with nothing to do, the two retired to their hotel to work on some songs. Butler played what he had of “I’ve Been Loving You Too Long,” but complained that he was stuck at the bridge. Redding returned to Memphis with a recording he made of Butler’s early version.
“The next time I heard it, it was on the radio,” Butler recalled. “And I said, ‘As bad as I needed a hit record, I just gave it to him.’ But he was supposed to do it. Nobody else, I believe, could have given it what he gave it. He just gave it a life all its own.”

September 5, 2019 10:38 pm  #5

he was supposed to do it. Nobody else, I believe, could have given it what he gave it. He just gave it a life all its own.”

Now ain't THAT the truth???

September 5, 2019 10:46 pm  #6

Very interesting, but I just can't hear anything in there that sounds like Jerry.  Would be interesting to know what that tape Otis took back to Memphis sounded like.

Board footera