The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 3, 2019 10:06 am  #1

September 3rd Is That Day!

Just noticed that it's the 3rd of September, that day I'll always remember in "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" by The Temptations.

Not sure why, but I thought it was worth mentioning, since specific dates so rarely come up in Top 40 songs. 

September 3, 2019 1:03 pm  #2

Re: September 3rd Is That Day!

Great citation aflem.  You're correct, I remember very few specific dates in the lyrics of tunes.

September 3, 2019 1:24 pm  #3

We're also 18 days away from another September day to remember. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs069dndIYk

September 3, 2019 2:36 pm  #4

The only other two I recall:

"It was the 3rd of June, another sleepy dusty Delta day," in Bobbie Gentry's Ode To Billie Joe. (Another #3 in the date!)

And Chicago's Saturday In The Park. I think it was the 4th of July!

Last edited by aflem (September 3, 2019 2:37 pm)

September 3, 2019 2:44 pm  #5

Neil Diamond's Desiree starts out on the third of June, and then moves to the fourth of June as well. 

September 3, 2019 3:40 pm  #6

Another date that sticks in my mind is the very first line of the Bee Gees' song, "Odessa (City on the Black Sea)", from the album "Odessa". 

Fourteenth of February, eighteen ninety-nine,
The British ship Veronica was lost without a sign.

An interesting ditty of over 7 minutes that I expected to be released as a single at the time, but I don't think it ever was in any part of the world.

Last edited by Sultan2 (September 3, 2019 3:55 pm)

September 3, 2019 3:51 pm  #7

Good one ... and although I've seen this topic discussed at least a couple of times over the years, I don't recall this song coming up. However, I have seen the Bee Gees' song First Of May mentioned, and it was also from the Odessa album. 

September 3, 2019 4:02 pm  #8

..And "First of May" has the distinction of being a song set in May which mentions Christmas!...(getting a bit off topic).

September 4, 2019 1:28 pm  #9

Summer (The First Time) by Bobby Goldsboro takes place on "a hot afternoon, last day of June".

September 4, 2019 2:57 pm  #10

One of my favorite Petula Clark songs is from her "My Love" album.  The song is titled "The Thirty-First of June".  Another Tony Hatch composition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWS7H56KlEE

September 4, 2019 4:29 pm  #11

That's another good one that I haven't seen come up before. Brings to mind Twelfth Of Never, since it's another song based on a fictional date.

Board footera