The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 10, 2019 10:55 pm  #1

Roman & Moskoway

The "Same Title Different Song" thread  contained a David Clayton Thomas reference... so I clicked on it, and was taken to that U-Tube place.  There, I found another DC Thomas record, but what was really interesting to me was the other names on the label... namely Duff Roman and "Digger" Dave Moskoway, label owner and producer respectively. 

Before CHUM (10.50 a.m.) became the dominant Pop radio station in Toronto, CKEY (580 a.m.) was THE station to listen to... and "Digger" Dave Moskoway was their top jock..  Duff Roman was the more serious of the two, and often did the news & weather...  The interesting part?  It was only lately that I found out that Duff Roman, and Digger Dave Moskoway were one in the same person, but two totally separate personnas.  Who'd a thunk it?

September 11, 2019 10:18 am  #2

Re: Roman & Moskoway

Just one small correction - his real last name is Mostoway. His brother, Dan,  who passed away in Dec. 2016, was also a jock and briefly worked at CHUM as well. 

September 11, 2019 10:50 am  #3

Oops!  You're absolutely right.  Mostoway it is.  

Interesting that he chose both names to add to the record.  Double the commissions perhaps?  

Seems to me most radio jocks back in the day had some sort of side line going on..  We often had local radio personalities DJ our high school dances or MC special occasions like graduation nights.  So I guess it makes sense that some would get into record production.

September 11, 2019 2:52 pm  #4

There are a number of great articles about Duff Roman on FYImusicnews.ca, including the first one where he talks about how "Digger Dave" came to be.

Duff Roman: The Ongoing History Of A Music Man

Duff Roman: Career Milestones

Niagara Now: Spotlight on Duff Roman

Board footera