The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 13, 2019 9:32 am  #1

RCMP Deployed “Rock Squad” To Spy On 70s Concertgoers

I don’t have $300+ to subscribe to the site below, but there’s enough info in the first paragraph of their lead story on Friday to prove tantalizing. And I’m not sure if it even belongs here, so apologies to Lorne if it’s out of the purview of this board. But it does involve music and oldies, so here goes.

It says newly revealed documents show the federal government tasked the RCMP with taking covert pictures of concertgoers in the early 1970s, to keep track of potential troublemaking hippies. It means if you went to a music event  in Canada during that time, there’s a very good chance your photo is still in some dossier somewhere in their files.

In the end, of course, they were looking for dissidents and plotters against Canada. They didn’t find any. But what an odd revelation.

RCMP Deployed Rock Squad 

September 13, 2019 9:52 am  #2

Re: RCMP Deployed “Rock Squad” To Spy On 70s Concertgoers

Thanks, aflem. I'm definitely fine with you posting this, and although it's indeed strange I'm not that surprised that it happened. The only thing I wonder about is whether the RCMP just went ahead and did this on their own, as opposed to being told to do this ... that would be my guess, but I'll be interested if any further details become available.

September 13, 2019 9:58 am  #3

This first came to my attention during a radio interview on a rather obscure station in Mississauga. But the reporter seemed to indicate that it was the P.M. at the time - oddly enough, Pierre Trudeau, who appealed strongly to the youth of that day - who may have ordered it.

If memory serves, this was around the time of the FLQ nightmare in Quebec and the anti-Vietnam War movement in both Canada and the U.S., so there was a lot of fear of "radicals." The guy being interviewed noted "if you went to a concert during that time, it's very possibly your picture is somewhere in that file." 

I find that mind boggling! 

September 13, 2019 10:00 am  #4

By the way, he concluded that what they found was the most kids simply went to the concert to drink, smoke up or hear some music. None of which should come as any real surprise. But as Buffalo Springfield noted in "For What It's Worth,"  'paranoia strikes deep.' 

September 13, 2019 10:23 am  #5

Ok, thanks for the additional info from the radio interview. I didn't really want to get political, but what I was wondering about was whether the Trudeau government would have authorized something of this nature. But as you say, there was a lot of fear of "radicals" at the time, and that might have led them to authorize this. 

September 13, 2019 10:36 am  #6

I wonder what concerts they specifically targeted. Did someone going to see say, Deep Purple or The Grateful Dead get the same scrutiny as those attending a John Denver concert? The whole thing just strikes me as very bizarre, but that was a different time. There's a certain irony in the fact that, if anything, the world is whole lot more paranoid now than it was back then.

Not to get all tin-foil hatted on you, but who knows what's going on these days? There are lot more cameras around today than there were then - and most of them are very well hidden and have a lot better resolution.   

September 13, 2019 11:09 am  #7

My mind went in a bit of a different direction with regards to the original effort. I'm not surprised that nothing came of it, because my first thought was to question how that was really supposed to result in anything meaningful or actionable. And while technology would certainly result in clearer images today, my hope would be that police forces would still see this as an unlikely way of finding anything that would be useful -- with the exception of if a crime is actually committed and the perpetrator can be identified, but I think that is really a different thing.

Board footera