The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 24, 2019 9:42 am  #1

What Are the Worst Hit Songs of All Time?

It's a pretty provocative question and it's not actually mine. A newspaper in Connecticut asked some of its editors to pick the tunes they genuinely hate and make a list of the worst 25 songs ever recorded. I certainly don't agree with all of them. ("Alone Again, Naturally" has always been a fave of mine - it tops their list of the worst!)

But it's hard to argue with such stalwarts as "Having My Baby" by Paul Anka and Odia Coates, "You Light Up My Life" by Debby Boone, "Feelings" by Morris Albert or Terry Jacks' "Seasons In The Sun" as being represented. Still, the Boone song set a record at the time for what, 10 weeks at #1, so somebody bought the thing. (Although whether you can get anyone to admit it now is another question entirely.)

You can see the list here. But really. "A Horse With No Name," one of the worst 25 songs ever? I say nay. Or maybe that should be "neigh!"

September 24, 2019 10:08 am  #2

Re: What Are the Worst Hit Songs of All Time?

The one that has topped my list since it hit in 1966 is "96 Tears" by ? & Mysterians.  Conversely, I rather like "Feelings" and "You Light Up My Life".  I'll usually skip most of the Paul Anka hits when they show up as I ramble through my CD's.  The worst act I ever saw in person was Zager & Evans so I'll toss in "In The Year 2525" as another one I pass by.

September 24, 2019 3:46 pm  #3

My entry would be "Yummy Yummy, Yummy" by the Ohio Express or any of the other bubblegum pop drivel that was featured in the late sixties and early seventies.

September 24, 2019 9:23 pm  #4

can't change the station fast enough when "Imagine" comes on. and another Beatle badie, "My sweet lord". 

September 25, 2019 2:13 am  #5

The Connecticut newspaper has some not-so-convincing arguments against the music - including some here on this Board as well.  Seems like most of the dislikes are associated with the lyrics with the exception of one related to the stage presence of an artist.  I see relatively few strong dislikes related to the music itself.  Like many other stimuli in life:  "one person's trash may be another's treasure."   And, again, an example of that has already been manifested within the context of this discussion.  I just thank the artists for responding to and satisfying the need and love of extremely diverse types of music.  There's something out there for everyone.

October 2, 2019 12:54 am  #6

Anyone that has Ides Of March on the worst list is either crazy, doesn't know that many songs , or perhaps both. Where's Benny Bell's Shaving Cream or  David Gedde's Run Joey Run ?

Board footera