The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 26, 2019 2:15 pm  #1

PBS Country Music Program

Anyone been watching this TV series this week?  I have been learning a great deal, e.g. Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan were very close friends as evidenced by several short clips that demonstrated their friendship and mutual affection for one another's music and talents - even being paramutual fans of each other.  Just in general, the program has made me much more appreciative of Cash's brilliance in music, knowing the vastly different array of music and having the ability to learn not only the notes but the lyrics of countless songs of all genres.  He truly had a love of all types of music and was brilliant but the antithesis of pretentious.  Which, once again, begs the question: why is he considered by many to be "country?"  I have NEVER thought of him as country - he almost deserves his own genre/category:  call it "Johnny Cash."  And his iconic contradictory paradigms, e.g. never expressing negative about Presidents but many times defying their policies, e.g. LBJ and Vietnam.  He has quite a history and personal complexity  I have always been impressed by his abilities but much more so now.  Ken Burns, co-producer for the series, is to be commended for his authenticity, accuracy and pragmatic approach to this series.  Very educational!

Also interesting that the program mentioned the close knit affiliation between what many of us would consider hard-core rock and the country music genre.  I am very much aware of the foundation of rock as being a composite including country - no doubt about that.  But the program solidifies that.  So, a question that comes to me in light of the program:  why is there a "Country & Western" genre when, in fact, they are distinctively separated by many artists and musicologists?  Why lumped?

September 27, 2019 11:37 am  #2

Re: PBS Country Music Program

You can blame "Country & Western" on Billboard.  As they published charts over the years, lumping the two together saved space and still got the best of both their rightful spotlight.  Besides, many country stations did both, as shown by the popularity of Marty Robbins trail songs, Tex Ritters multi-genre stardom, the Sons Of The Pioneers.and the long lasting fame of Bob Wills.  I've also enjoyed the segments I've seen of the PBS series.  I met a goodly number of the stars that are featured and felt they were treated fairly.  I did four shows with Johnny Cash and he truly was a force to be reckoned with.  I found him to be polite and patient when visiting with him, but I knew he had better things to do than talking to me, so they were very brief.

September 27, 2019 12:53 pm  #3

Re: PBS Country Music Program

Ken Burns, co-producer for the series, is to be commended for his authenticity, accuracy and pragmatic approach to this series.  Very educational!

It's a good series and Ken Burns can be commended for the stuff he did cover, but how on earth could he have left John Anderson out of the New Traditionalist section and not even mention him in the entire series?

Board footera