The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 27, 2019 12:54 pm  #1

Once Were Brothers dwells on The Band’s bond, not its burning out

They were more Canadian than American, with only Arkansas native Levon Helm having been born below the 49th Parallel. The other four members — Robbie Robertson, Rick Danko, Richard Manuel and Garth Hudson — were all from Ontario.
Yet The Band defined the roots-rock sound that came to be known as Americana, beginning with songs like “The Weight,” “Tears of Rage” and “Chest Fever,” off the landmark Music From Big Pink album of 1968. With its blend of rock, country, folk, bluegrass and R&B, the group distilled the expansive spirit of a pioneering nation that often seems at odds with its own high ideals.
https://outline.com/CztkHK

September 27, 2019 9:29 pm  #2

Re: Once Were Brothers dwells on The Band’s bond, not its burning out

when was the last time you heard The Band on 60's on 6...never, great "band" under appreciated. The Last Waltz was one of the best Docs I've ever seen.

September 27, 2019 11:31 pm  #3

They have gotten a lot of airplay here in Canada over the years, but a lot of that has had to do with our Canadian content regulations ... combined with them having had somewhat more success with their singles here in the first place. On Billboard they never got past #25 on the singles charts, and so I think that this will have really affected how much airplay that they've received over the years.

September 30, 2019 3:24 pm  #4

Beverly Cardinals wrote:

when was the last time you heard The Band on 60's on 6...never, great "band" under appreciated. The Last Waltz was one of the best Docs I've ever seen.

Speaking of Docs:  I JUST purchased Echo In The Canyon and watched it - WOW!!!  Where have I been?!?  Amazing to see/hear the connection between Beach Boys, Beatles, Mamas & Papas, Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Eric Clapton.  Laurel Canyon, California.  I kind of heard about it but just somewhat anecdotally.  I wasn't aware of the reciprocal listening/learning process between the Beatles and Beach Boys/Brian Wilson - back and forth they'd be listening as each released new albums and learning from what they heard and each kind of "adjusting, fine-tuning" their own melodies and lyrics - no question that they mutually benefited and were mutual fans of one another with reciprocal impact on one another.  The structure of the documentary was interesting: discussion and film clips from w-a-y back when when they were all hot.  Jakob Dylan, who hosted the doc, would then join other contemp artists and, without compromising the value and quality of the earlier jams by earlier artists, would try to re-create the spirit and sound of the earlier releases with their own reflection on the music.  Very good!  Apparently, Norah Jones, Fiona Apple, Jakob Dylan, Beck)?!?), and others actually made their performance a successful concert - Echo In The Canyon.  I think they did a super job!  Superb music!!

Note:  I knew Dave Crosby was "fired" by the Byrds, but it wasn't clear as to why except for personalities which frequently happens with bands.  Crosby, in a candid interview in Echoes, TOTALLY confesses that he was - IS - an a--h---!!  He left me with no question as his ego getting in his way, that as far as he is concerned, no one could even hold a candle to his talent and that if he didn't get his tunes emphasized in each of the Byrds albums, he would walk out.  The Byrds didn't wait - he was fired.

Last edited by Little Rich (September 30, 2019 3:35 pm)

October 1, 2019 5:21 am  #5

Little Rich wrote:

Beverly Cardinals wrote:

Speaking of Docs:  I JUST purchased Echo In The Canyon and watched it - WOW!!!  Where have I been?!?  Amazing to see/hear the connection between Beach Boys, Beatles, Mamas & Papas, Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Eric Clapton.  Laurel Canyon, California.  I kind of heard about it but just somewhat anecdotally.  I wasn't aware of the reciprocal listening/learning process between the Beatles and Beach Boys/Brian Wilson - back and forth they'd be listening as each released new albums and learning from what they heard and each kind of "adjusting, fine-tuning" their own melodies and lyrics - no question that they mutually benefited and were mutual fans of one another with reciprocal impact on one another.  The structure of the documentary was interesting: discussion and film clips from w-a-y back when when they were all hot.  Jakob Dylan, who hosted the doc, would then join other contemp artists and, without compromising the value and quality of the earlier jams by earlier artists, would try to re-create the spirit and sound of the earlier releases with their own reflection on the music.  Very good!  Apparently, Norah Jones, Fiona Apple, Jakob Dylan, Beck)?!?), and others actually made their performance a successful concert - Echo In The Canyon.  I think they did a super job!  Superb music!!

Note:  I knew Dave Crosby was "fired" by the Byrds, but it wasn't clear as to why except for personalities which frequently happens with bands.  Crosby, in a candid interview in Echoes, TOTALLY confesses that he was - IS - an a--h---!!  He left me with no question as his ego getting in his way, that as far as he is concerned, no one could even hold a candle to his talent and that if he didn't get his tunes emphasized in each of the Byrds albums, he would walk out.  The Byrds didn't wait - he was fired.

Years ago, CSN was on a talk show and was singing a song.  The audience surrounded them in a cozy-like way. The crowd wasn't loud, at least I didn't hear them and while singing, Crosby put his hands up like to shush them during one of their famous harmonies.  I thought at the time what a jerk.

October 1, 2019 11:36 am  #6

Karen -- I didn't see that show, but I agree with your comment about Crosby. I think that what he did was especially poor given that he would have had plenty of experience with dealing with crowd noise over the years. My guess is that most experienced musicians learn how to focus on their music and filter out any crowd noise, and on top of that wouldn't want to do anything like this that could alienate their fans. 

October 5, 2019 12:05 pm  #7

Trivia:  What alias did David Crosby assume as composer of several tunes during the late '50s into the mid-'60s?  Why?  What was the derivative of that fictitious name?

December 26, 2019 10:05 am  #8

Critic Brad Wheeler comments on 2019 rock docs in a Toronto newspaper today:  "Daniel Roher's blinkered Once Were Brothers:  Robbie Robertson and The Band told the group's story strictly from Robertson's point of view."   

Just sayin' . . . 

Board footera