The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 6, 2019 11:31 am  #1

Cream Drummer Ginger Baker Gone At 80

He played on "Sunshine of Your Love" and "White Room," among other Cream classics, as yet another 60s icon leaves behind some great works. 

Legendary Cream drummer Ginger Baker dead at 80

October 7, 2019 5:13 am  #2

Re: Cream Drummer Ginger Baker Gone At 80

Bruce NZ wrote:

Cream really were the awakaning of hard rock for me. I just loved their music and so wished I had some talent as a drummer. I was a roadie for school mates who played Cream covers. Baker had a susprisingly long innings considering his lifestyle and just as surprising is that Clapton is still with us.

I've thought that a million times about Clapton.

October 7, 2019 5:31 pm  #3

And unlike many from that era, Clapton is still going quite strong! Yea!!

October 8, 2019 5:08 am  #4

Little Rich wrote:

And unlike many from that era, Clapton is still going quite strong! Yea!!

And that makes me happy.  Meeting him is on my bucket list.

October 8, 2019 7:55 am  #5

I got his autograph one time when he played here in MEM. It happened quite funny. We had a friend of my wife's visiting us from Europe and we had been to the concert the night before. We took the friend for an afternoon drink to the lobby bar at the Peabody Hotel and we were waiting to see the famous ducks make their exit to the roof. While waiting, one of the band members comes walking by and I just said "hey great show last night." He thanked me and walked on. Then we see another band member. Suddenly I'm thinking Clapton must be near by so I left our table and walk over to a table with 4-5 business people talking. I asked if they had a sheet of paper and a pen to which they obliged. I then see Clapton walking in the middle of his security guys one which is carrying his child on his shoulders. As I try to approach one of the guys steps in front of me and blocks me saying you can't go here. I just said Hey Eric we just want to get an autograph and he turns around and tells the security it's ok and signs my paper and our visitor's post card. I was always jealous she got the autograph on a Beale Street post card. very cool! Mine is framed with a CD jacket.

October 8, 2019 9:23 am  #6

It’s funny how stuff like that happens.

My sister-in-law has a framed piece of one of Elvis Presley’s actual scarves prominently displayed on her kitchen wall. How she came by it has become the stuff of family legend..

She was a teenager and was at one of those Elvis comeback concerts in the early 70s. I think it may have been in Niagara Falls, N.Y. She had pretty good seats, and at one point, Elvis saw her in the crowd, took off the apparel he was wearing around his neck and threw it towards her.

Another teenaged girl saw what was happening and charged to her side and both of them caught the thing. The battle was on! While my in-law pulled on her end, the intruder grabbed the other part and neither would let go. Finally, as security guards moved in and the melee threatened to escalate, the cloth tore almost exactly in half and both kids walked away with their souvenir.

But only my relative got the part with Elvis’ name printed on it.

The story made the local paper and it’s now become a conversation piece every single time I go over to their house.

I’ve often wondered how much it’s worth – after all, it has Presley's DNA on it – but she insists she doesn’t want to know and would never consider selling it.

October 8, 2019 9:30 am  #7

fantastic story!

October 8, 2019 9:58 am  #8

Speaking of collectibles, a long time ago in my radio life, I was in New York City to interview Sid Bernstein, the promoter who brought the Beatles to America for their first concert. At one point, he reached into his desk and pulled out the item below. I was too stunned to ask if it was the real thing and I've always wondered whether this was a replica or an actual ticket. (But just look at that ticket price - $5! For the fourth-last Beatles concert ever in 1966!) 

How could there be any that were left over since the thing was an absolute sellout? And there's no advertising on it, which is also strange. But it came from the guy who arranged the show, so who knows? In some ways, perhaps like my sister-in-law above, it's better to just, you should pardon the expression, Let It Be.

October 8, 2019 12:31 pm  #9

I saw them here in '66 and still have the ticket but only half as it was torn as you went in.

October 8, 2019 2:19 pm  #10

I was too young when they came to Toronto in 1964, but my older sister went to Maple Leaf Gardens to see them. All she remembers is everyone screaming and I don't think she ever heard a note they actually played. But at least she can say she saw them live. 

October 8, 2019 3:20 pm  #11

memphis boy wrote:

I got his autograph one time when he played here in MEM. It happened quite funny. We had a friend of my wife's visiting us from Europe and we had been to the concert the night before. We took the friend for an afternoon drink to the lobby bar at the Peabody Hotel and we were waiting to see the famous ducks make their exit to the roof. While waiting, one of the band members comes walking by and I just said "hey great show last night." He thanked me and walked on. Then we see another band member. Suddenly I'm thinking Clapton must be near by so I left our table and walk over to a table with 4-5 business people talking. I asked if they had a sheet of paper and a pen to which they obliged. I then see Clapton walking in the middle of his security guys one which is carrying his child on his shoulders. As I try to approach one of the guys steps in front of me and blocks me saying you can't go here. I just said Hey Eric we just want to get an autograph and he turns around and tells the security it's ok and signs my paper and our visitor's post card. I was always jealous she got the autograph on a Beale Street post card. very cool! Mine is framed with a CD jacket.

What a great story!  Lucky guy!

Board footera