The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 17, 2019 8:45 am  #1

Danny Marks: Keeping The Blues Flag Flying

As host of one of the few remaining national blues radio programs, Danny Marks is well-positioned to discuss the current state of blues music in Canada. As his Bluz FM Saturday broadcast on Jazz FM 91 launches into its 18th year, Marks is  aware that this genre has become a niche category and that as far as the blues music scene is concerned he feels it’s too centred around Toronto.
http://themusicexpress.ca/danny-marks-keeping-the-blues-flag-flying/

October 20, 2019 1:51 am  #2

Re: Danny Marks: Keeping The Blues Flag Flying

while marks may be correct in noting that canadian blues is toronto-centric, it should be pointed out that it does not exclusively reside there. for example, vancouver based colin james has been recieving long overdue international recognition of late. in may of this year he was tapped, along with fellow canadian colin linden, to present awards during a segment of the blues foundation's 40th annual awards ceremony in memphis.

if, as marks claims, the current focus of the canadian blues scene is on women, perhaps is that because at present they are doing most of the heavy lifting? could be...

sue foley is deservedly a superstar of blues regardless. how, then, do we categorize ellen mcilwaine? a living legend, perhaps? with no apology to sonny landreth or anyone else, certainly she is one of the most brilliant slide guitatists on the planet today. while i believe she still resides in alberta, as she has for many years, oddly she is likely best known to australian audiences.

as a card carrying, patron level, member of the blues foundation i try my best to check out blues scenes world-wide. in my observation, canadian blues is, if not entirely thriving, surely is holding its own with vigor, and i am very happy and proud to support all artists involved in their community who not only strive to not only keep blues alive but also bring a great canadian spirit to it as well..

Last edited by gopher (October 20, 2019 12:59 pm)

Board footera