The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 17, 2019 9:20 pm  #1

Maurice Williams' Inspiration For "Stay" Was An Early Ending Date

The article below is about the terrible Disco Duck song that disc jockey Rick Dees inflicted on the listening public in 1976. But it's the embedded video at the bottom of the story that I found interesting. It's with Maurice Williams and what inspired him to write the classic "Stay" over a half a century ago. It also reveals just how many covers this short 1:55 original has had since he recorded it with the Zodiacs so many years ago. 

Scroll down to find it. 

What inspired Maurice Williams to write "Stay"

October 18, 2019 8:08 am  #2

Re: Maurice Williams' Inspiration For "Stay" Was An Early Ending Date

Rick Dees was a working for a popular FM station here in Memphis when he made Disco Duck. He was the hit of the morning commuters with his cast of idiots. He mimicked the mayor and all popular locals. He played Disco Duck on his show and was fired for conflict of interest. He was right when he said "if I didn't play it no other station was going to." It was then he made the move to LA. He was a crazy, fun listen in those days here.

October 21, 2019 1:12 pm  #3

Is this the one where he was mentioning all the different versions, and almost forgot to say The Four Seasons?  "How could I forget the Four Seasons?  hat's my favorite version.  Except for mine, of course."

October 21, 2019 2:57 pm  #4

I always liked Jackson Browne's version of Stay.

Board footera