The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 31, 2019 8:28 am  #1

The Great Halloween Oldies Debate

It’s been the subject of great debate since the beginning of time, a question so huge that even the wisest sages of history have never been able to agree on the answer. It’s that age-old quandary: which is the biggest Halloween hit, “Monster Mash” or “Thriller?”

My argument is always Bobby “Boris” Pickett’s classic, if for no other reason than it’s been around the longest, is shorter than Michael Jackson’s song, and is quintessentially a Halloween tune.

A runner-up to both of them? How about “I Want My Baby Back” by Jimmy Cross, a bit of an obscure 1964 novelty hit in which a guy loses his girlfriend in an accident, then digs up her grave and jumps in, while proudly singing “I Got My Baby Back!” with the lid closed.

Imagine trying to put that song out today. 

October 31, 2019 11:38 am  #2

Re: The Great Halloween Oldies Debate

Of course, I'm a "Monster Mash" advocate, since I do a decent take on the accent of Bobby "Boris" Pickett when I'm doing the karaoke thing.  It is also one of my favorite memory stories, because I caught Casey Kasem making a mistake when he was talking about how long "Monster Mash" had been on the charts during it's 3 chart appearances.  I sent him a letter pointing out the mistake, he called me to thank me, read my letter on his "AT40" show and sent me that show on vinyl discs.

October 31, 2019 3:47 pm  #3

pickett and jackson were wannabies. halloween belongs to roky erickson.

October 31, 2019 8:08 pm  #4

Jim Southern wrote:

Of course, I'm a "Monster Mash" advocate, since I do a decent take on the accent of Bobby "Boris" Pickett when I'm doing the karaoke thing.  It is also one of my favorite memory stories, because I caught Casey Kasem making a mistake when he was talking about how long "Monster Mash" had been on the charts during it's 3 chart appearances.  I sent him a letter pointing out the mistake, he called me to thank me, read my letter on his "AT40" show and sent me that show on vinyl discs.

And although you aren't credited by name, your correction rates a mention on Wikipedia. Great story.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Mash#Re-releases_and_other_versions

October 31, 2019 9:52 pm  #5

November 1, 2019 5:06 am  #6

Lorne wrote:

Jim Southern wrote:

And although you aren't credited by name, your correction rates a mention on Wikipedia. Great story.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Mash#Re-releases_and_other_versions

Well, color me impressed!

November 1, 2019 5:08 am  #7

As far as ubiquitous during this time of year, I'd have to go with Monster Mash, but I'll listen to Thriller anytime over Mash.

November 1, 2019 11:55 am  #8

I'm a little partial to Jumpin' Gene Simmons with Haunted House, and Buck Owens Monsters Holiday

November 2, 2019 12:52 pm  #9

I must admit I just heard a Halloween song I've never heard. Dinner At Drac's by John Zacherle. Funny and a little gross. Song facts said that Dick Clark made him tone down the lyrics when he did it on Bandstand.

Board footera