The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 6, 2019 9:01 pm  #1

Theme For New Scorsese Movie Is An Oldies Doo Wop Classic

Not long ago, there was a lot of hype about the oldies soundtrack for a new Quentin Tarantino film, "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood." 

Now another legendary filmmaker is making use of an oldies classic that recurs several times in his latest flick, "The Irishman," The Martin Scorsese film is a Netflix original and is getting great reviews. But for oldies fans, one song on the soundtrack stands out and it's a classic - the 1956 Five Satins hit "In The Still of the Night."

The story of how the now 85-year-old singer who wrote it found out about its use in the film is a good one. 

The Doo-Wop Song at the Mournful Heart of ‘The Irishman’

November 7, 2019 6:14 am  #2

Re: Theme For New Scorsese Movie Is An Oldies Doo Wop Classic

In the 90s there was a music show on the Nostalgic Channel (TV) hosted by MTV alumni Nina Blackwood. (I don't think the channel exists anymore) It was similar to Bandstand except for the oldies concept.  Every show had artists from the era.  They lip-synched but it was an OK thing with me.  One of the guests were the Five Satins who sang "In The Still of the Night." That's when I learned about the group recording the song in the basement of a church.

November 7, 2019 9:25 am  #3

Good article, but one correction.  As we recently discussed, "Monster Mash" also made 3 appearances on the Billboard "Hot 100".

November 12, 2019 4:48 am  #4

yes, "street music" indeed. i believe doo-wop (certainly in its acapella origin or form) to be one of the u.s.a's few genuinely original folk  artfoms, musically. though, being percieved as pop music, which it became, i suspect it is rarely viewed in such a context..

Last edited by gopher (November 12, 2019 5:53 pm)

November 12, 2019 10:42 am  #5

Interesting tidbit - Vito Picone of the Elegants has a bit part in this movie.

Board footera