The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 10, 2019 8:54 pm  #1

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da is “the perfect pop song” according to science

The Beatles‘ 1968 track ‘Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da’ has been declared the most perfect pop song ever written by researchers at the Max Planck Institute in Germany.
The scientists analysed 80,000 different chord progressions from 700 songs recorded between 1958 and 1991, using machine learning to give a score to each chord based on how “surprising” it was compared to the chord preceding it.
https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-beatles-ob-la-di-ob-la-da-is-the-perfect-pop-song-according-to-science-2566089

November 10, 2019 9:14 pm  #2

Re: Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da is “the perfect pop song” according to science

Beatles Album Cover Photographer Robert Freeman Dies At 82

Among the LP covers he shot for the Fab Four: Beatles For Sale, Help, Meet The Beatles and the classic Rubber Soul.

Last edited by aflem (November 10, 2019 9:15 pm)

November 11, 2019 4:00 pm  #3

Re: Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da is “the perfect pop song” according to science

Lorne - this is truly fascinating!  Since I've been "volunteer" DJing for the past 28 years, I have been interested in how to maximize musical enjoyment of the listeners.  I know part of it has to be nostalgia, but at the same time I know, through some research, that music does trigger dopamine release and there is no universal type, rhythm, beat, genre, whatever.  I've kind of toyed with juxta-positioning the beat with playing sets of 3, alternating FAST-SLOW-FAST maintaining same genre.  I have a "Scott Shannon/Casey Kasem-style" of artist/song trivia discussion with the argument that there are thousands of music venues and sources and anyone can listen to whatever they want whenever they want.  In sharp contrast to JUST music, a good DJ can elicit a positive response from listeners just by their associated comments and entertainment which I remember well from way back when DJs were worth their weight in vinyl.  I will admit I have to cheat - I actually prepare a type-written monologue, mostly an outline about the artists/songs and I practice the monologue to sound professional and nonchalant, but I do ad lib a fair amount as well.  I spend an inordinate amount of time putting the shows together - probably ~10-12 hours per two-hour radio show - but it's a labor of love.  I have a large library of references, many from Billboard Books as well as several key websites, including this one, that provide all kinds of "trivia about trivia."  In fact, though it's probably a little trite, I have a local sponsor who donates bags of local brew coffee beans and I use that as a "reward" for people that call in to my Trivia Rock Question sessions during each show.  Many call in and don't even collect their coffee tokens - they just want to be recognized as the "Answer Person."   I have had, on rare occasion, listeners who I know personally, who have voiced negative comments about my info-sharing, saying all they want is to listen to the music and they don't want to listen to "talk"; but that has been rare - you MIGHT please some of the people some of the time.  Conversely, I've had many random calls from listeners who have been delighted in my info-sharing format, delighted in the trivia that I share; because we, like most stations, live-stream the broadcasts and I have enjoyed people calling in from all over the US - even someone, recently, from Guam who listens to my show on a regular basis.  What's my drive in being a DJ?  Like most people from the entertainment industry, I want to think people are dialed in and enjoying what I have to present.  I'm, retired, not in it for the money, not in competition for sponsors because the station is a public broadcasting affiliate - all I want is for the listeners in the Great Alaska State Capital and other places to enjoy my radio show and want to hear more.  And I do get compliments from the radio station staff.  I've, jokingly, even kidded about syndication - NOT!  That would mean I'd be "committed" - in more ways than one.

I can't help but think there has to be some sort of formal training, in particular when you are appealing to sponsors and they are looking for the product - the product being the return on their investment - in the end, the motivation to the listeners to purchase the sponsors' goods and services.  Or maybe, DJ training is a combination of formal training and informal training/hard knocks.

Last edited by Little Rich (November 11, 2019 4:05 pm)

Board footera