The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 6, 2020 1:15 pm  #1

Elton John & Bernie Taupin Win First Golden Globe As Duo for Rocketman

Sir Elton John won the best original song Golden Globe Sunday (Jan. 5) evening at the 2020 Golden Globes, taking home the trophy alongside longtime collaborator Bernie Taupin for “(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again,” the new song they contributed to Rocketman, the kaleidoscopic musical biopic about his life.
Incredibly, John said it was the first award he and Taupin have won as a duo. “It’s the first time I won an award with him. Ever,” John said while accepting the award. “We never won a Grammy, we never did anything together except for this and I’m so happy, thank you very much.”
https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/awards/8547334/elton-john-golden-globes-rocketman

January 7, 2020 3:06 pm  #2

Re: Elton John & Bernie Taupin Win First Golden Globe As Duo for Rocketman

I was somewhat disappointed with Rocketman in that it didn't deal with the era in which he was close to Princess Diana & her death & the tribute at her funeral.     The film ended before any of that; no doubt its just me, being an old softie (emphasis on old)

January 7, 2020 9:20 pm  #3

Re: Elton John & Bernie Taupin Win First Golden Globe As Duo for Rocketman

So how is it that, despite half a century of writing songs together, John & Taupin have never shared an award? The Hollywood Reporter tries to explain:

"While the best original song honor marks their first major award together, the duo previously won a Hollywood Music in Media Award alongside Mary J. Blige in 2018 in the best original song – animated film category for the song "Stronger Than I Ever Was," which was featured in Sherlock Gnomes. The pair also recently won the best use of music award from the New York Film Critics Online for Rocketman. The 2019 honor was shared with Matthew Margeson, Giles Martin and Taron Egerton.

"Additionally, John won a Grammy in 1998 for "Candle in the Wind 1997," which was co-written with Taupin, in the best pop male vocal category. Despite co-writing the song, Taupin did not win the award alongside John because only the singer receives the trophy in that category."

Golden Globes: Inside References Explained

Board footera