The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 12, 2020 8:11 pm  #1

Demo Of First Ever Beatles Record Played On Radio Up For Auction

The Fab Four weren't even known when Radio Luxembourg gave them their first official exposure as The Beatles in 1962. Now a demonstration record of "Love Me Do," complete with Paul McCartney's name misspelled on the label, is going up for sale. It's expected to fetch more than $26,000 U.S. 

Given its historic value - and the fact McCartney later signed it with the correct spelling - it seems undervalued to me. The auction takes place later this month.

First Beatles release to get radio play up for sale

Last edited by aflem (January 12, 2020 9:02 pm)

January 13, 2020 6:12 am  #2

Re: Demo Of First Ever Beatles Record Played On Radio Up For Auction

aflem wrote:

The Fab Four weren't even known when Radio Luxembourg gave them their first official exposure as The Beatles in 1962. Now a demonstration record of "Love Me Do," complete with Paul McCartney's name misspelled on the label, is going up for sale. It's expected to fetch more than $26,000 U.S. 

Given its historic value - and the fact McCartney later signed it with the correct spelling - it seems undervalued to me. The auction takes place later this month.

First Beatles release to get radio play up for sale

I agree with you on the low price.  Seems like chump change to me.

January 13, 2020 4:08 pm  #3

I  listened to Radio Luxenbourg a lot and I remember hearing the song played on the station at that time and I remember exactly where I was when I first heard it. It certainly made an impression on me.

However, I did not think much of the song and thought it had been a bit over hyped!

It took the release of their next single, 'Please Please Me' |(in the UK), to make me a fan.

January 28, 2020 8:33 am  #4

The record sold at auction for 17,000 pounds - or just over $22,000 U.S. 

First Beatles record to be played on the radio is sold for £17,000

Board footera