The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 23, 2020 8:57 pm  #1

Robert Parker, who scored a 1960s hit with "Barefootin'," dies

Robert Parker, the singer-songwriter who scored a national hit during the heyday of New Orleans rhythm and blues with his 1966 song “Barefootin,’” died Sunday. He was 89.
His granddaughter, Keshita Williams, said Parker had stopped performing in recent years and retired to Tangipahoa Parish, where he was living at the time of his death.
https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/local/robert-parker-who-scored-a-1960s-hit-with-barefootin-dies/289-44c9d1dc-59af-4a53-836d-894b0986c50c

January 24, 2020 9:29 pm  #2

Re: Robert Parker, who scored a 1960s hit with "Barefootin'," dies

Thank you, Lorne, I never knew about his early involvement with other New Orleans legends. 

January 29, 2020 10:46 am  #3

Lorne wrote:

Robert Parker, the singer-songwriter who scored a national hit during the heyday of New Orleans rhythm and blues with his 1966 song “Barefootin,’” died Sunday. He was 89.
His granddaughter, Keshita Williams, said Parker had stopped performing in recent years and retired to Tangipahoa Parish, where he was living at the time of his death.
https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/local/robert-parker-who-scored-a-1960s-hit-with-barefootin-dies/289-44c9d1dc-59af-4a53-836d-894b0986c50c

The only version of this song I've heard is by Pete Townshend on his Deep End Live album. I'd never thought about its origin so thanks for that. The song was a real stretch for Pete as he hadn't really done any R & B covers since the early days of The Who. Rounded out by a horn section and female back-up singers, this is probably the most soulful he ever sounded. If it was a stretch for him it must have been even greater for Pink Floyd's David Gilmour, who played guitar on the recording.

January 30, 2020 9:33 pm  #4

not to say that i wasn't quite surprised myself, i'm not sure if anything would be a stretch for gilmour. have you seen or heard his set with mccartney at the cavern?

Last edited by gopher (January 31, 2020 3:33 am)

Board footera