The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2020 11:31 pm  #1

New Beatles Movie Aims to 'Bust the Myth' of 'Let It Be' Sessions

Director Peter Jackson previewed a few minutes of his upcoming documentary based on the Beatles' Let It Be movie over the weekend.
Variety reports the screening took place at Universal Music's annual showcase that coincides with the Grammy Awards. Jeff Jones of Apple Records said because of the perception that the 1970 movie was a depressing look at the Beatles coming apart, Jackson was brought in to digitally clean up old footage, removing what reporter Jem Aswad described as the "murky, shadowy atmosphere" of the original. It's a process similar to what the director did when colorizing the World War I footage in They Shall Not Grow Old.
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/beatles-new-let-it-be-movie/

January 30, 2020 3:58 am  #2

Re: New Beatles Movie Aims to 'Bust the Myth' of 'Let It Be' Sessions

in this day of 'perfect' ones and zeros, i'm sure a "brighter" copy will be welcome. regardless,, i never had a problem with the original film, and still don't. it may appear murky to some, but, to me, it seems a quite acceptable period documentary which used, with some enhancement perhaps, available lighting. of its day, the film is a fine study of a band in progress, i believe.

as for its being seen as depressing, or a picture of a band disintegrating, as perhaps the beatles may have been outside it, i never have viewed the film in that way at all, and beg to disagree. i realise i'm apparently the minority in this regard, but i will stand my ground, and defend my observatons, as such:

for a start, almost no band or artist has ever hit a home run every time out in the studio, though the beatles certainly had a better batting average than most. what i see and hear in the film is a very creative band working on songs. hearing them in early stages and as they progressed, or didn't, is a remarkably interesting and enjoyable experience for me to observe, in any instance... should not that be what working, creative artists ought be expected to do in the studio, nevermind behave,  as musicians?.

watching the film, then or now objectively, putting aside media coverage of the band at the time, or retroactive reportage, i have never gotten a sense that i was watching a band unfolding at all.

anyone who has (modestly though have i, rarely) been in the studio with creative and obviously ego-driven artists as they record knows that they will argue, fight, cajole, and disagree with one another as a matter of normal creative process. that's one reason producers exist. not always, but generally, perfectly happy mellifuous acts tend to make average and unchallenging records without outside suggestion or motivation from within the studio/.

rather than any indication to me that the band was near its end, the roof concert portion, in particular, left me believing that, given the emerging advent of stage monitors and lighting which the beatles did not enjoy during their touring years, they had the potential to be a permier concert attration during the 70's and beyond.

of course, then and now, knowing what surrounded the band, that didn't happen. i don't think there's much, if anything in the film itself to suggested such fraction. to me, it's a fine illustration of nothing more or less than how the band approached, in their unique way, working in the studio at the time, no more, no less. if the new version improves the film's quality and allows it to be commercially avilable in current formats, i applaud and welcome its addition to history most assuredly

in "let it be," i see a great band attempting to make excellent music again, with varying rusults, period. and i am  thankful for the insight, whatever the cinematic result.

Last edited by gopher (January 30, 2020 10:02 am)

Board footera