The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 12, 2020 10:58 pm  #1

Status Quo: a guide to their best albums

So who’s up for a bit of heads-down, legs-apart, no-nonsense, mindless boogie, then? As any fool knows, Status Quo aren’t just one of the most enduring and successful rock bands of all time – having notched up a gobsmacking 66 hit singles, more than 100 appearances on Top Of The Pops, and spent 434 weeks (over eight years) in the British singles chart – they also have one of the most expansive catalogues. 
https://www.loudersound.com/features/status-quo-a-guide-to-their-best-albums

February 13, 2020 2:03 pm  #2

Re: Status Quo: a guide to their best albums

Lorne wrote:

So who’s up for a bit of heads-down, legs-apart, no-nonsense, mindless boogie, then? As any fool knows, Status Quo aren’t just one of the most enduring and successful rock bands of all time – having notched up a gobsmacking 66 hit singles, more than 100 appearances on Top Of The Pops, and spent 434 weeks (over eight years) in the British singles chart – they also have one of the most expansive catalogues. 
https://www.loudersound.com/features/status-quo-a-guide-to-their-best-albums

Kind of odd that they didn't mention their first album that contained two singles, Ice In The Sun and Pictures of Matchstick Men, which are probably their only tunes to crack North American radio.  The latter, in particular, was a pretty big hit but then the band went into the boogie rock mode that became they're trademark. When I saw them in a Toronto club in the 90's they didn't even play Matchstick Men. The reviewer throws some shade on their album 'Rockin' All Over The World', which was one of my faves. When they kicked off Live Aid with that song it was, for me, one of the high points of the entire show.

February 13, 2020 2:58 pm  #3

Re: Status Quo: a guide to their best albums

Yeah, Beyond Ice In The Sun and Pictures of Matchstick Men, Billboard doesn't even them "Honorable Mention", not even "Bubbling Under."  I appreciated their one-hit wonder, Pictures of Matchstick Men.

Board footera