The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 19, 2020 8:13 am  #1

One World Concert

I thought the show last night was fantastic and I'd be interested to hear what others thought. Here's a little mini-review that I sent to my buddy goph.

I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by the bulk of the performances. I think the organizers were very clever in having the artists, even current popular artists, perform mostly oldies as perhaps the demographic for the show may have been skewed toward old farts like me. I thought Lady Gaga's opening take on 'Smile' was stunning and Stevie Wonder's Lean On Me was jaw-dropping. Current hit makers Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello did a nice fresh take on the overworked 'What A Wonderful World' and even pouty Billie Eilish impressed me with her rendition of 'Sunny'. However, I have to say that my favorite was The Stones who really brought it. The only odd thing about them was Charlie Watts' air-drum performance which a lot of people are saying was a lark, but maybe it harkens back to a point you made earlier that it's not actually him playing the kit on stage these days any more. Keith Urban, John Legend and even Eddie Veddor I could have done without. Has Pearl Jam done anything in the last 30 years except cover The Who and The Last Kiss?

April 19, 2020 8:55 am  #2

Re: One World Concert

Didn't Macca play on it. We didn't see it but will see it on YouTube.

April 19, 2020 9:45 am  #3

McCartney played "Lady Madonna" on the special, which I thought was kind of an odd choice.  

April 19, 2020 10:00 am  #4

I agree, odd choice.

April 19, 2020 10:42 am  #5

Agree with both of you. I immediately thought of how Elton John asked Bernie Taupin to write new lyrics for Candle In The Wind so that it could be used to honour Diana, and I think that it would have been better if McCartney had rewritten Lady Madonna in a similar way -- or else chosen a different song. 

Last edited by Lorne (April 19, 2020 12:11 pm)

April 19, 2020 12:16 pm  #6

Roman wrote:

I have to say that my favorite was The Stones who really brought it. The only odd thing about them was Charlie Watts' air-drum performance which a lot of people are saying was a lark, but maybe it harkens back to a point you made earlier that it's not actually him playing the kit on stage these days any more.

Leave it to the Stones to become the focal point of web chat about the virtual concert. Watts' non-drumming has become the source of endless speculation and articles, not only on social media but in a ton of online articles from professional publications..

This one, from Forbes, tries to explain what he was up to - and why. But ultimately, the author admits he has no idea why Watts did - or rather, didn't do - what he did.

What The Hell Was Rolling Stones' Charlie Watts Playing Last Night?.  

April 19, 2020 4:10 pm  #7

aflem wrote:

McCartney played "Lady Madonna" on the special, which I thought was kind of an odd choice.  

The only thing that comes to me is that in his intro he saluted all health care workers and he mentioned that his mother was a nurse, so maybe he was doing it as a tribute to her (and all of the other female nurses and doctors out there).

Last edited by Roman (April 19, 2020 4:12 pm)

April 19, 2020 6:44 pm  #8

I agree with you all on "Lady Madonna".  I mean, is "Let It Be" too obvious or depressing?  

Green Day's Billy Joe woke me up with "Wake Me Up When September Ends."  Wow.  That one really wrenched my heart.

The Stones knocked me out.  When I saw the four screens with Jagger starting, I was squirming in my chair anticipating each Stone coming on in succession. Then came Watts.  Not sure I get why no drums but yes to luggage and the couch arm...um...

April 19, 2020 11:06 pm  #9

Let It Be was the song that came to my mind as well ... it would have worked so much better and in more than one regard.

April 20, 2020 12:53 pm  #10

Billie Eilish was good but I wish someone would have adjusted the volume - I could BARELY hear her.  That is a GREAT song!!

Board footera