The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 10, 2019 4:19 pm  #1

Gene Chandler's "I'll Remember You"

I was just reviewing some of my many favs and found one of those "How-Could-Forget-This-One"'s.  Gene Chandler's "I'll Remember You."  It was never released as a single, just one of the tracks on his "When You're #1" album.  Wow!! IMHO, a truly great song, but in some circles, probably a "sleeper."  Ironically, in AllMusic, music critic Jason Elias, gave the album a 2-star rating, going one step further, REALLY going after the "I'll Remember You" track, saying "...hampered by its uneventful lyrics and arrangements."  Whoa Nelly!  Who is Jason Elias?  And where is he coming from.  Maybe he's associated with the R&RHOF with some "baggage."  I can't say the song is a "spectacular hit," and I recognize it never made the Billboard Hot 100, but like many other songs, maybe at the time it was released, there were so many other super hits that tunes like this one were shadowed out of fame and fortune.  My nickel's worth.

March 11, 2019 1:27 pm  #2

Re: Gene Chandler's "I'll Remember You"

Is it possible his people felt the title was too close to Frank Ifield's "I Remember You" and decided to pass? 

March 11, 2019 1:52 pm  #3

Re: Gene Chandler's "I'll Remember You"

C.D.P. wrote:

Is it possible his people felt the title was too close to Frank Ifield's "I Remember You" and decided to pass? 

No.  He discussed the song within the context of the album.

Board footera