The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 10, 2020 9:18 am  #1

In the Summertime: how Mungo Jerry made a sweltering classic

I hadn't thought much about this classic in a long time before reading this article about the making of "In The Summertime." There's a lot here I didn't know, including what lead singer Ray Dorset was doing for a living when his multi-million seller hit on both sides of the Atlantic, how it came to have the sound effects it did and why it originally wasn't quite long enough to actually release. 

"...two minutes into the session, the band stopped playing. I asked why and Ray said: “That’s all we’ve got."

"...I got the engineer Howard Barrow to rev up his Triumph TR4 in the street. I stood out there with a mic under the exhaust pipe, practically giving myself carbon monoxide poisoning. But we edited the car sound on to the tape and copied the first part of the song, with a slightly different mix, on to the back. The single is really the same song played twice. "

August 11, 2020 11:16 am  #2

Re: In the Summertime: how Mungo Jerry made a sweltering classic

aflem wrote:

I hadn't thought much about this classic in a long time before reading this article about the making of "In The Summertime." There's a lot here I didn't know, including what lead singer Ray Dorset was doing for a living when his multi-million seller hit on both sides of the Atlantic, how it came to have the sound effects it did and why it originally wasn't quite long enough to actually release. 

"...two minutes into the session, the band stopped playing. I asked why and Ray said: “That’s all we’ve got."

"...I got the engineer Howard Barrow to rev up his Triumph TR4 in the street. I stood out there with a mic
under the exhaust pipe, practically giving myself carbon monoxide poisoning. But we edited the car sound on to the tape and copied the first part of the song, with a slightly different mix, on to the back. The single is really the same song played twice. "

I picked up the In The Summertime album when it came out and I quite liked it, particularly the band's cover of San Francisco Bay Blues. I watched the YouTube video for their new tune 'The Lockdown Song', and it's also a fun little number. I couldn't help but also notice how well Ray Dorset has aged.

Last edited by Roman (August 11, 2020 11:17 am)

Board footera