The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 12, 2019 8:37 pm  #1

Story Time!

Back in 1966, I was the morning DJ on a C&W radio station in Salt Lake City (KMOR).  I heard on a local Top 40 outlet that a well known artist would be in person at a local nightclub.  I was surprised since the artist was well established and the club was certainly a smaller venue than I would have expected.  Anyhow, one of my fellow DJ's decided to join me so we were there to hear the live show by Bill Haley & The Comets.  The performance was as good as we had hoped for, so when the show was over, my buddy and I wandered back to the dressing room area.  Luckily the guy at the door was a KMOR listener so he recognized us.  He opened the door and asked Bill if we could visit for a few minutes.  The OK was given and there we were inside the room talking to the legend himself.  He told us that he was doing a tour of the Western states hoping to land a gig in Las Vegas.  We talked a bit longer and then went on our way for the next show.  As the years have gone by I still consider it one of my personal highlights to have visited with a true giant and pioneer of the early days of rock & roll.  He was very easy to visit with and appreciated the high regard we had for him and his records.

March 12, 2019 8:44 pm  #2

Re: Story Time!

I can imagine what a highlight that would have been. How lucky to speak with him intimately. I sure he respected your place in the music industry and wanted to talk! great memory

March 14, 2019 6:21 am  #3

Re: Story Time!

In September of '66 (same year as Jim Southern's story) the student union of the University of Waterloo, Ontario (not Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, New York or Ohio) decided to throw a dance as part of annual homecoming, in the gymnasium @ Seagram Stadium.   Budget was miniscule, but it turned out that Bill Haley & his Comets were affordable.   

University students considered it a joke, however the event was overwhelmed with individuals (born a few years earlier than the average college student) who packed the gym.   The fire department eventually closed the doors due to over crowding and police were called to deal with vehicular traffic.    An unforgettable evening.

G.

Board footera