The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 12, 2019 11:01 pm  #1

Hal Blaine, Wrecking Crew Drummer and Rock HOF Member, Dies at 90

Drummer Hal Blaine, who propelled dozens of major hit records during the ‘60s and ‘70s as a member of the “Wrecking Crew,” Hollywood’s elite, ubiquitous cadre of first-call studio musicians, died Monday, according to a statement from family members on his official Facebook page. He was 90.
https://variety.com/2019/music/news/hal-blaine-studio-drummer-dies-at-90-1203160849/

March 13, 2019 7:11 am  #2

Re: Hal Blaine, Wrecking Crew Drummer and Rock HOF Member, Dies at 90

So sad. I was blown away with the Wrecking Crew movie. I never knew

March 14, 2019 7:17 pm  #3

His list of credits is huge. He was the beat behind the sound of the 60s.

Tom Diehl

March 14, 2019 10:08 pm  #4

One of the highlights of the early "Philles" LP's (Phil Spector) was the listing on the liner notes of the studio musicians.  So I was familiar with the name Hal Blaine early in my DJ career.  Even so, I did not realize until recently that he was a key player in a lot of the Beach Boys hits.  Hal had such a great history and I am happy that the movie about the "Wrecking Crew" came out to show how much he was a part of our music.  If I may, and if you haven't already done so, listen to "The Bells Of St. Mary" on the Phil S. Christmas LP.  I think that was the perfect showcase for Hal and the "Wall Of Sound".  Thank you Hal and find your place in the R&R Heaven band.  That spot's been waiting for you!

Board footera