The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 25, 2020 12:03 pm  #1

Its Writer Tells The Story Behind "Abraham, Martin & John"

Ever wonder how Dion, who hadn't had a hit record for years and was recovering from drug addiction, wound up being the voice on the iconic "Abraham, Martin & John?" The guy who wrote the tune (in just 10 minutes) tells about its inspiration, the hunt for the singer who could do it justice, the many cover versions and the one that meant the most to him.

And then there's this great bit of arcane trivia that's my favorite part of the story. The writer of this poignant tribute to fallen leaders was the same one who penned "Snoopy vs. The Red Baron" for The Royal Guardsmen. Talk about two different worlds. 

Behind the Song: ‘Abraham, Martin and John’  

September 26, 2020 6:59 am  #2

Re: Its Writer Tells The Story Behind "Abraham, Martin & John"

Very nice article.

Since a young girl, songs like that always appealed to me.  Always made my heart break. Always made me have to listen to them countless times.

September 26, 2020 1:37 pm  #3

Re: Its Writer Tells The Story Behind "Abraham, Martin & John"

I've felt the same way about the song ever since I was young, and I still find it very moving. And the way that Dion sang it so beautifully, along with the fact that he had such a comeback with it after overcoming serious drug problems, makes it that much more special to me. 

Board footera