The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 18, 2019 7:07 am  #1

Sad News!!

According to the "HuffPost", the legendary "King of the Surf Guitar", Dick Dale, passed away Saturday night at the age of 81.  He'd had numerous health issues but  continued to perform to nearly the end.  His biggest hit was "Let's Go Trippin'" with the Del-Tones, but he was probably best known for his high energy take on "Miserlou", which was featured in TV commercials and with the opening credits of the movie "Pulp Fiction".  When I went to see the movie, I had not heard anything other some some reviews so after the opening scene as the started the credits, "Miserlou" came blasting out of the theater speakers and about blew me out of my seat.  When I was at my first pro DJ gig down in Texas, my Dad sent me the first Dick Dale album and I played it a few times on the air.  Years later, about 15 years ago, Dick made a concert appearance here in Portland, so I took the LP to the show.  I was standing near the stage when Dick looked down and saw the LP in my hand.  He asked for it, so I handed it to him.  He held it up and told the crowd "This is what I used to look like".  He gave it back, so after the show he signed it and we exchanged a few bits of conversation.  It is hanging on he wall of my apartment.  R.I.P. Dick Dale and thanks for the music and memories.

March 19, 2019 6:54 am  #2

Re: Sad News!!

Amazing that he was able to be continue touring throughout the years, given his health issues.  In fact, his web page shows performance dates scheduled from May to November of this year.

March 19, 2019 9:51 am  #3

Re: Sad News!!

From American Graffiti:

John Milner - "I hate that surfin' shit"
Carol - "Don't you think the Beach Boys are boss?"
John - Rock 'n roll's been goin' downhill ever since Buddy Holly died

Board footera