The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 21, 2020 8:27 am  #1

The One-Hit-Wonder File: ‘Incense and Peppermints’

My favorite fact in this story is that the guy who wound up doing the vocals on the only hit The Strawberry Alarm Clock would ever have was a 16-year-old kid (where does a 16-year-old get a voice like that? Wow.) who wasn't even a member of the group!

The One-Hit-Wonder File: ‘Incense and Peppermints’

Last edited by aflem (October 21, 2020 1:51 pm)

October 21, 2020 10:02 pm  #2

Re: The One-Hit-Wonder File: ‘Incense and Peppermints’

aflem wrote:

where does a 16-year-old get a voice like that?

gee, i dunno... maybe by listening to stevie winwood or terry reid?

October 21, 2020 10:15 pm  #3

Or Alex Chilton.

October 21, 2020 10:57 pm  #4

I've thought the same thing about Munford, Winwood, and Chilton ... all had amazingly mature singing talent at a very young age. (I have to admit that I'm not familiar with Reid.) But given that the three of them wouldn't have had much opportunity to hear each other when they had their initial success, I think that they probably developed their singing styles independently of one another. For what it's worth, my guess is that it's partly just because they had great voices to begin with, but they may have also had an unusual ability to learn how to sing from older artists in a way that helped them to sound mature beyond their years.

October 22, 2020 8:29 am  #5

Years ago I developed an inexplicable compulsion to find out what Mumford was up to now and I managed to find out, through one of the other band members, that he was playing in a band in the Washington area. I tried unsuccessfully to connect with him as I would have liked to hear his voice again on more recent material. 

October 22, 2020 9:45 am  #6

I was friends with the late, great Mark Dailey, who was a newscaster at both Citytv Toronto and CKLW "The Big 8" in Windsor. He had such great pipes, it earned him the nickname "The Voice." He wasn't a singer, but I once asked him about when he developed that amazing instrument. He told me when he was a teenager, he had the usual adolescent squeaky voice.

And then one morning, when he was around 16 years old, he woke up one morning, went down to the kitchen, where his mother said 'good morning" to him. And when he answered back, out came that incredible deep bass vocal that made him famous! He remembers his entire family being stunned, including himself. And it just got better from there. 

I'm guessing the same thing may have happened to the great teen singers mentioned above. It happens. Just not too often. And that's what makes them so special.     

Last edited by aflem (October 22, 2020 9:45 am)

October 22, 2020 11:25 am  #7

Roman wrote:

Years ago I developed an inexplicable compulsion to find out what Mumford was up to now and I managed to find out, through one of the other band members, that he was playing in a band in the Washington area. I tried unsuccessfully to connect with him as I would have liked to hear his voice again on more recent material. 

I did some searching and found that he's on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/greg-munford-186b986/ ... maybe you'll already be aware of this, but I thought I'd mention it in case he could be reached that way. But I know that some people can leave up profiles there but no longer be using the site. 

October 22, 2020 1:23 pm  #8

Lorne wrote:

Roman wrote:

I did some searching and found that he's on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/greg-munford-186b986/ ... maybe you'll already be aware of this, but I thought I'd mention it in case he could be reached that way. But I know that some people can leave up profiles there but no longer be using the site. 

Thanks for that Lorne. I'm on LinkedIn so I sent him a connection request. We'll see what happens. Could be another road trip in the offing for gopher and me once we're clear of Covid.

Board footera