The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 28, 2020 9:40 am  #1

The strange tale of ‘Monster Mash’, the smash that will never die

This comes up every year and it never seems to get old. You've probably read a story like this before, but it's fun to reconsider it as Halloween approaches.

To me, the most amazing revelation from the article is that in an early live appearance, the late guitar great Eddie van Halen played guitar and a pre-fame Beach Boys backed Bobby "Boris" Pickett on some of the live performances of this tune. Could that be true? If so, that's an amazing little factoid. I would have paid to see that!

The strange tale of ‘Monster Mash’, the graveyard smash that will never die

October 28, 2020 11:48 am  #2

Re: The strange tale of ‘Monster Mash’, the smash that will never die

"Monster Mash" will always be a cherished memory of mine.  The third time it showed up on the Billboard Hot 100, it hit the Top 40 again.  I happened to hear Casey Kasem talking about it and he gave out the wrong information about how many weeks it had been in the Hot 100.  I dropped him a letter pointing out the error.  About a week later, I get a phone call from Casey thanking me for the heads up.  We talked for about 10 minutes.  Weeks later I get a package in the mail.  It was the complete vinyl AT40 from 11/3/73.  Casey reading my letter on the show and thanking me for the info.  Casey was as nice on the phone as he was on the show. 

October 28, 2020 1:07 pm  #3

What a great memory and keepsake! I hope you still have the album! 

My experience with the Monster Mash is very different. I was about 5 or 6 years old when it came out and it was the very first record I ever owned. Back then, 45's were only 69 cents each at your local record or department store and that's what I wanted for my birthday that year. I got it and played the thing so much, I practically wore out the grooves. Somehow, after all these years, I still have it on the old Garpax (short for Gary Paxton) label. 

I can honestly say it remains the only novelty record I can listen to over and over again. Most wear out their welcome after a few spins. The Monster Mash never seems to, which may be why it's stood the test of time for so long. 

October 29, 2020 5:22 am  #4

"Upon release, ‘Monster Mash’ shot to number one in the US and became “a graveyard smash”. For an early live performance of the song, Pickett was backed by none other than a pre-fame Beach Boys and the late Eddie Van Halen. And in the ‘60s own answer to..."

Depending on the date of  this performance I can't believe Eddie Van Halen backed this song.  He'd still  be in elementary school.

Last edited by It's me Karen (October 29, 2020 5:26 am)

October 29, 2020 9:14 am  #5

You make a very good point, Karen. I did some searching and found that the Beach Boys did back Pickett early on (there's a picture of them doing so at https://tinyurl.com/y647t83f). But as for Van Halen, I wonder if he might have backed Pickett after the song became a hit again in 1973. I found a reference to both the Beach Boys and Van Halen doing this at https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8015114/monster-mash-bobby-boris-pickett-halloween-history, and it refers to Pickett having used them as backing musicians "throughout the years". I think that the fact that the Beach Boys did so when it was originally a hit has led to the NME writer conflating the two, and I can see how that could more easily happen because of the unusual situation of the song having become a big hit twice. 

October 29, 2020 12:04 pm  #6

Billboard went behind the hit in a 2018 article by Fred Bronson. 

How Bobby 'Boris' Pickett Turned 'Monster Mash' Into a Graveyard Smash

Board footera