The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 10, 2020 11:03 am  #1

Bobby Hebb's "Sunny" Inspired By His Own Brother's Murder

I often wondered whether the 1966 classic "Sunny" by the late Bobby Hebb was about his offspring or even his religious beliefs. But it turns out it was neither - he wrote the tune after his own brother's murder, which occurred on the day after the John F. Kennedy assassination in 1963. It will definitely affect the way I listen to it the next time I hear it.

Behind the Song: “Sunny,” Bobby Hebb 

November 10, 2020 12:53 pm  #2

Re: Bobby Hebb's "Sunny" Inspired By His Own Brother's Murder

I saw him perform Sunny in '66. He was a warm up for the Beatles

November 11, 2020 4:47 am  #3

memphis boy wrote:

I saw him perform Sunny in '66. He was a warm up for the Beatles

i'll wager you're one of the few who were there that knew or cared who the openers were, much less paid any attention to them as i know you did. you've mentioned aspects of the show before. maybe, for historical purposes, you might consider writing a short story or narrative about the show and how you came to be there, mem music community's reaction to it as you recall, etc.? i'm sure some beatle fanzine, at least, would be happy to publish it if not the commercial appeal. i'd certainly be interested in reading a complete first-hand account, for sure.

by the way, the blues hall of fame museum remains closed. has earnestine & hazel's survived?

Last edited by gopher (November 11, 2020 5:02 am)

November 11, 2020 9:39 am  #4

How nice Goph to say that. I too was waiting impatiently for the Beatles. The openers were the Remains, Bobby Hebb, The Cyrkle and the Ronettes. At the time I'd never heard of the Remains! I was at the 8:30 show which was the infamous "cherry bomb" show.
As far as I know Ernastine and Hazel's is open but not sure of the hours now.
keep on rockin'!

November 11, 2020 8:44 pm  #5

I vividly remember as a ten year old young pup taking my little portable radio to bed & scanning the dial. Sunny was on numerous radio stations during the evening teen shows up and down the dial. It got a TON of airplay during its initial run. There was no escape.

Board footera