The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 25, 2019 9:13 am  #1

The Rolling Stones Meet & Greet

Any of you rock and rollers out there with 20 grand lying around may want to take advantage of this. This could be the last time you have such an opportunityhttp://www.wenkwtpr.com/2019/03/25/pleased-to-meet-you-rolling-stones-offering-meet-and-greet-packages-to-upcoming-us-shows/.

March 25, 2019 4:48 pm  #2

Re: The Rolling Stones Meet & Greet

I normally avoid lotteries but you've got my attention with this; 1 chance in 17 million for just $5

March 26, 2019 7:19 pm  #3

all you need is greed... next, i imagine they'll charge their usual outrageous ticket prices and stand onstage waving for an hour and a half while a couple of their albums play thru the p.a.

March 26, 2019 8:51 pm  #4

duly noted that the money is said to be going to charities.  however, given the stones' well known history of shrewdness and greed, along with their being corporately based in holland, i'm skeptical, and suspect that only but a percentage will end up where it's supposed to go.

Last edited by gopher (March 28, 2019 4:27 am)

March 27, 2019 7:48 am  #5

C'mon Gopher, you can't take it with you

G.

March 27, 2019 8:04 am  #6

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't think the Stones dictated the prices. I saw them in Nashville a couple of years ago and found EVERYTHING was inflated. bottled water was $5 and parking at the stadium was $40! And for just a little more aggravation we found no info regarding this until we made it to the gate but no bags bigger the something like 6" long were allowed so my daughter had to back to the car and leave her purse. There were a lot of unhappy campers at the gate. We had it timed to miss the warm up country acts so time was critical.

March 27, 2019 11:59 pm  #7

it's something of a tricky wicket, but in general, artists tend not to dictate what a venue may charge for their services such as parking, food, etc., or entrance policies and the like. though, in both theory and practice they can or could. it usually doesn't happen because acts mostly don't care what else goes on as long as they are paid for their goods and services, or they know that doing so may limit the choice of venues in which they might perform, thus perhaps also limiting the scope of a tour.

however, it isn't at all impossible for an act to stipulate in a contract with a promoter that they won't play in a venue which charges audiences more than x amount for its goods or services, and perhaps also contractually (enforceable or not) set forth the manner in which the venue and its patrons are expected to behave when circumstances appear to require such action to be taken. a perhaps relatively small number of acts,  in my observation usually with already deep pockets or a genuine consideration and appreciation for their fans, have in the past demonstrated that they will do this either consistently or at least on occasion, and continue to do so..

of course, almost without exception, touring acts both major and minor (local and regional bar bands operate in a completely different atmoshhere), or their management, do set, or agree to, prices for their goods (t shirts. meet/greet/photo op's and such) and services as well as in many instances the ticket price for the show itself. for example, the d.c. punk band fugazi never allowed ticket prices to exceed $5 and when in rare cases where they couldn't control this, the band always arranged for ticket holders to be comped for the difference paid in every circumstance they could.

certainly, the stones have complete control as to the price of their goods and services, and have had for many decades. while some have complained of their high ticket prices as long ago as 1969, this became glaringly apparent circa 1980,  when the stones signed what i believe was in the ballpark of a million dollar tour support endorsement deal with jovan, then promptly doubled ticket prices for the tour from what they had been asking in '78.

while that, in my opinion,rogant gambit did and does somewhat disgust me, it doesn't diminish my appreciation for the sones' music, it only affects whether or not i now choose to furtherly enrich them. if i was inclined to arrange a meet and greet, i'd give them an earful regarding my view of their tactics before i presume i'd be quickly ushered out..

Last edited by gopher (March 28, 2019 4:56 am)

March 28, 2019 7:53 am  #8

yeah, my daughters wanted to go see them this year but closest they get to Mem is Chicago. After doing the math and guessing at ticket prices I figured it would about $2500-3000 to see them considering hotels food and the show. Not sure that's going to happen, Sad too considering when I took them in 2015 I just assumed they would enjoy seeing an icon of rock but when I saw that they knew the music almost as well as I did I was blown away! 

Board footera