The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 7, 2020 9:42 am  #1

A Very Big Deal: Bob Dylan Sells Entire Catalog To Universal Music

It's almost unprecedented and it's now the talk of the music industry. Bob Dylan has sold his entire music catalog to Universal Music in a deal estimated to be worth between 100-300 million dollars.

From Billboard:

"This is a unique prize...Among the songwriters of the rock era, only the Beatles are as influential as Dylan, the only songwriter to win the Nobel Prize for Literature. The catalog includes more than 600 compositions, written over the course of six decades, including "Blowin' in the Wind," "The Times They Are A-Changin,'" "Like A Rolling Stone," "Knockin' on Heaven's Door," and "Tangled Up in Blue."

The music publisher released a 46 sec. video celebrating the acquisition. You can see it here

Universal Music Publishing Buys Bob Dylan's Song Catalog

Last edited by aflem (December 7, 2020 10:16 am)

December 8, 2020 9:01 am  #2

Re: A Very Big Deal: Bob Dylan Sells Entire Catalog To Universal Music

True but I think he suggested, too, they needed to be more political which they didn't want to do. Funny too is when he offered them pot they had never seen it. He was surprised and mentioned I want to Hold Your Hand lyric "I get High" which was actually "I Can't Hide." Even the pros get it wrong sometimes. LOL

December 8, 2020 9:38 am  #3

The thing I want to know is how did a non-Dylan song by The Band become part of his catalog? That just seems bizarre to me. 

"The deal also includes the publishing to “The Weight,” written by Robbie Robertson, the only song in the sale that Dylan did not write or co-write."

December 8, 2020 10:06 am  #4

aflem wrote:

The thing I want to know is how did a non-Dylan song by The Band become part of his catalog? That just seems bizarre to me. 

"The deal also includes the publishing to “The Weight,” written by Robbie Robertson, the only song in the sale that Dylan did not write or co-write."

bob obviously isn't in the biz of buying others' songs, or he'd certainly have had more of them. at some point robbie clearly must have needed or wanted cash, and sold dylan its rights. which begs the question, when? gotta wonder which one of 'em cleaned up on the staple's version, for example...

Last edited by gopher (December 8, 2020 10:22 am)

December 8, 2020 11:44 am  #5

It's not just Dylan. In addition to Stevie Nicks, now David Crosby has revealed he's also selling off his catalog - but not because he wants to.

"Referencing Dylan’s nine-figure catalog sale, singer/songwriter Crosby tweeted: “I am selling mine also… I can’t work …and streaming stole my record money.

”He added: “I have a family and a mortgage and I have to take care of them so it’s my only option… I’m sure the others feel the same...”

"His “I’m sure the others feel the same” line is presumably a reference to his CS&N bandmates, Stephen Stills and Graham Nash.

Crosby forced to sell song catalog: "It's my only option...Streaming stole my record money."

January 5, 2021 11:37 am  #6

And the hits just keep on sellin', including the classic "Go Your Own Way." 

Fleetwood Mac Vet Lindsey Buckingham Sells Publishing Catalog to Hipgnosis Songs

January 6, 2021 9:44 am  #7

And now it's Neil Young who's no longer searching for a heart of gold, but a pot of one, instead. Looks like he found it.

Neil Young sells song rights for $150m to company that promises their ‘integrity’ will be preserved

January 7, 2021 6:48 am  #8

aflem wrote:

And now it's Neil Young who's no longer searching for a heart of gold, but a pot of one, instead. Looks like he found it.

Neil Young sells song rights for $150m to company that promises their ‘integrity’ will be preserved

neil only sold 50% of his publishing. and to be clear, he will, as the purchasers of dylan and others, will, only be comp'ed when somebody is licensing songs for use as other work (at least in dylan's case, i'm certain). this has no effect on royalties or ownership of songs which have been recorded by their copyrighted author.

Last edited by gopher (January 7, 2021 6:58 am)

Board footera