The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 12, 2020 6:21 pm  #1

a very frank willie

i know willie will do it right, but this sort of thing is getting tedious. what's next, lightfoot sings anka?
https://jambands.com/news/2020/12/11/willie-nelson-announces-frank-sinatra-covers-lp-thats-life/

Last edited by gopher (December 12, 2020 6:22 pm)

December 13, 2020 1:12 am  #2

Re: a very frank willie

Willie's done a number of the "crooner-type" songs before and a lot of them are ok.  I think Willie will give more justice to 'ol Blue Eyes than Bob Dylan did back in 2015 with his "Shadow In The Night" album.  IMHO.  . 

Last edited by Little Rich (December 13, 2020 1:12 am)

December 13, 2020 3:11 am  #3

Little Rich wrote:

Willie's done a number of the "crooner-type" songs before and a lot of them are ok.  I think Willie will give more justice to 'ol Blue Eyes than Bob Dylan did back in 2015 with his "Shadow In The Night" album.  IMHO.  . 

i hope you're right. but why? willie's fans are much more likely, as a whole, to be a lot more familiar with sinatra than many dylan fans might be, so other than new arrangements which may be interesting, i'm not sure what willie can bring that would interest them much.

sinatra's work does stand on its own without peer, after all. also, i could be wrong, but i don't think frank wrote many, if any, songs. so isn't it just really covering covers, even if sinatra's turned out to be definitive versions?

in any case, i recall a few years ago when steve earle released an album of townes van zandt songs. i asked a friend, who's a quite serious earle fan, if he was excited to hear it. "no" he said. "if i want to hear townes, i'll listen to townes." i'm just sayin', i wonder if willie's fans mostly won't have about the same reaction to this.

Last edited by gopher (December 13, 2020 3:17 am)

December 14, 2020 5:51 pm  #4

gopher - I think we're on the same page.  It's all relative.  I said Willie's crooner-type songs were okay.  I, personally, didn't go ga-ga over his covers of those songs.  Because of that, again relatively speaking, I think Willie will do better than Dylan did when HE tried Sinatra.  I can't judge others - I just know that I know I am familiar with both Dylan and Sinatra as well as Willie Nelson's styles and you're right - Willie's fans will not likely get too excited about his Sinatra music.
And, yes, Sinatra is stand alone but you can say the same about Dylan and Willie too.  Because Frank didn't write any songs that I'm aware of, those songs could be stylized by Willie.
Go a step further, Denver tried some Sinatra - I couldn't stand it.  Maybe it was the time when Denver was starting to lose some of his own style..  I went to one of his concerts in about 1975.  It was his second concert that night and his voice was cracking, part of the concert included some Sinatra.  His warm-up band was the Starland Vocal Band with, among others, Afternoon Delight.  They outperformed Denver BIG TIME.  FOR THE RECORD:  Denver's last Top 20 song was Fly Away, debut date 12/1975.

December 14, 2020 8:43 pm  #5

Lightfoot Sings Anka??:!!   THAT's funny.

Board footera