The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 21, 2020 10:33 pm  #1

Sunday Will Never Be The Same

One of my most recent guilty pleasures has been the live presentation by Spanky And Our Gang on the Mike Douglas Show of their 1967 hit Sunday Will Never Be The Same.

Stumbled across it to be honest but I'll bet I've watched it on YouTube about 30 times in the past week

Turned down by both the Mamma and Pappas and the Left Banke the song went to number 9 on the Billboard Hot 100 in '67.for the Gang.

Elaine "Spanky" McFarlane's soaring vocals on the Douglas show effort along with the tight harmonies of the band make it a keeper for me. Give it a look & a listen & let me know what you think

Last edited by unclefester (December 21, 2020 10:38 pm)

December 22, 2020 10:26 am  #2

Re: Sunday Will Never Be The Same

In my "Sunday Songs" playlist, "Sunday Will Never Be The Same" is immediately followed by  "Will You Be Staying After Sunday" by Peppermint Rainbow.  I would say that all of your kudos for the former song would apply for the latter as well.  The two songs are similar in a lot of ways.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNg7arOQoVA

(I realize it's not exactly fair to compare the two videos, given that one is a live performance while the other is a lip-sync)

December 23, 2020 8:51 am  #3

Listening to "Sunday Will Never Be The Same" took me back...and if felt good.  Great song!

December 24, 2020 12:47 am  #4

Don't forget:
Lazy Day
I'd Like To Get Know You
They are the epitome of relaxed, "mellow yellow," super harmonies.
In these days of covid, political absurdities - this is the music we need NOW.
Super music!

December 24, 2020 12:59 am  #5

GrimsbyFan wrote:

In my "Sunday Songs" playlist, "Sunday Will Never Be The Same" is immediately followed by  "Will You Be Staying After Sunday" by Peppermint Rainbow.  I would say that all of your kudos for the former song would apply for the latter as well.  The two songs are similar in a lot of ways.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNg7arOQoVA

(I realize it's not exactly fair to compare the two videos, given that one is a live performance while the other is a lip-sync)

Peppermint Rainbow did the Green Tambourine on their "Will You Be Staying After Sunday" album with the original Lemon Pipers backing track.  That entire album is REALLY GOOD.  They are a super group!

December 24, 2020 1:11 am  #6

Speaking of the similarities in styles between groups:  what about the 5th Dimension and Friends of Distinction?  I detect very "little distinction" between the two groups.  several of the members of these two groups, coincidentally, worked together as part of an earlier group, the Wi-Fis.  Phenomenal songs, unforgettable harmonies.

December 24, 2020 6:48 am  #7

Little Rich wrote:

Don't forget:
Lazy Day
I'd Like To Get Know You
They are the epitome of relaxed, "mellow yellow," super harmonies.
In these days of covid, political absurdities - this is the music we need NOW.
Super music!

i remember seeing them on bandstand, with dick clark thanking them for taking the time to set up and play live, as opposed to synching. i recall thinking i'd just heard a band who cared a lot about its audience.

spanky performed on a mountain stage broadcast i attended sometime around 2000-2005 maybe, as part of a trio, and her voice was clearly still brilliant. lately she's been involved with blues, and has been nominated for or won at least one blues foundation b.m.a. award within the last several years.

Last edited by gopher (December 24, 2020 6:52 am)

December 24, 2020 8:00 am  #8

And let's not forget Spanky McFarlane's other great achievement - taking part in a reconstituted if temporary version of The Mamas & The Papas. Her voice was perfect for them, although the reunion didn't last long. 

Last edited by aflem (December 24, 2020 8:03 am)

December 25, 2020 3:35 am  #9

aflem wrote:

And let's not forget Spanky McFarlane's other great achievement - taking part in a reconstituted if temporary version of The Mamas & The Papas. Her voice was perfect for them, although the reunion didn't last long. 

I only wish it could have lasted longer.  Yes, you're right aflem.  It was a dynamic sound that came from that short-lived group.

Board footera