The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 22, 2020 9:00 am  #1

Chad Stuart Of Chad & Jeremy Gone At 79

They didn't have a lot of hits on either side of the Atlantic, and in fact were far more successful in North America than in their British homeland. But Chad & Jeremy did add some great soft hits in the 60s, most famously a song you hear every year when some station does its annual salute to summer or fall.

"A Summer Song" is a terrific record and I always found it ironic that's it's more about the end of the season than the joys of the warmth. They also scored with "Yesterday's Gone" and "Willow Weep For Me." When I was a kid, I always got them confused with Peter & Gordon, who were far more successful. 

As the Billboard article below indicates, Chad & Jeremy also made an impression on TV, appearing in two memorable sitcoms - the Patty Duke Show (as "Nigel & Patrick") and the great "The Redcoats Are Coming" episode of the Dick van Dyke Show in a take-off on Beatlemania. There was also a bizarre appearance on Batman. 

I was surprised to learn that after his hitmaking days were done, he became the music director for The Smothers Bros. Show on CBS. 

Stuart died of non-COVID-related pneumonia. He was 79.

Chad Stuart of '60s Folk-Pop Duo Chad & Jeremy Dies at 79

Last edited by aflem (December 22, 2020 11:38 am)

December 22, 2020 9:25 am  #2

Re: Chad Stuart Of Chad & Jeremy Gone At 79

I agree with you, aflem.  "A Summer Song" is a great song.  And I also used to get them mixed up with Peter and Gordon.  

December 22, 2020 10:33 am  #3

To make matters worse, sometimes they were referred to as Chad & Jeremy and other times as Stuart & Clyde!

December 22, 2020 12:52 pm  #4

It's me Karen wrote:

And I also used to get them mixed up with Peter and Gordon.  

Well to add to the confusion up until Covid cancelled the world Peter Asher & Jeremy Clyde were performing as a duo doing a number of sold out shows.

As you might expect they performed each duo's hits and more in their live act

Sad news about Mr. Stuart

May he rest in peace

December 22, 2020 1:01 pm  #5

Their songs always bring back the pleasant memories of my radio DJ days, when they were automatics on our playlists.  "Yesterday's Gone" is my favorite, with "If I Loved You" a close second.

Board footera