The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 23, 2020 1:42 pm  #1

Psychotic Reaction

Ever since I first heard Psychotic Reaction by Count Five in 1966 it's been a favourite of mine

Never tire of listening to it

So you can imagine both my surprise & excitement to discover a different longer version of the original by the C F

The body of the song is exactly the same note for note but in my recently discovered version there is an additional single line of lyric & a completely different ending which extends the song by about 12 seconds past its original run time of 2:56

It's not the Holy Grail but it's a delightful discovery by this old timer

Grandpa is happy !!

It's on YouTube & is listed as the "unedited version"

Let me know your thoughts

December 23, 2020 3:33 pm  #2

Re: Psychotic Reaction

December 24, 2020 10:23 am  #3

I prefer the hit version of Psychotic Reaction because the extended version is missing the fade-out which features some terrific psychedelic guitar and the band generally going nuts. But if you really want to blow your mind, listen to Brenton Wood's cover of the song. Wonder if Todd Rundgren "borrowed' the organ lick for "Bang On the Drum".

Last edited by Roman (December 24, 2020 10:23 am)

December 24, 2020 12:51 pm  #4

Always like PR and this was a nice change. Thanks

December 25, 2020 2:30 am  #5

"psychotic reaction" is featured on the first of lenny kaye's excellent "nuggets" garage rock comp series. i met lenny a few years ago, shortly after some kinda time capsule had been launched into space. i told him i thought they should have sent "nuggets" instead.

Last edited by gopher (December 27, 2020 4:07 am)

December 25, 2020 4:02 am  #6

Listen to the Yardbirds' Happenings Ten Years Time Ago.  The intro to Happenings are similar to the Count 5 PR.
Or I need a hearing aid.

Board footera