The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 27, 2020 1:31 pm  #1

Why News Voice In Simon & Garfunkel's "Silent Night" Is Very Familiar

I've always admired Simon & Garfunkel's "Silent Night/7 O'Clock News" as a classic of its genre and a poignant commentary on the turbulent late 1960s. But up until now I have to confess I never really thought about who that was reading the newscast on the recording. 

Turns out many of us are very familiar with the voice. It's Charlie O'Donnell, who for decades has been the announcer on the syndicated TV smash, "Wheel of Fortune." Another amazing factoid that just adds to the recording. (And by the way, if you ever wanted to hear S&G do the backing track of the classic Christmas Carol without the newscast in front of it, you can at the article below.)

What You Never Knew About Simon & Garfunkel's “Silent Night/7 O’Clock News"

December 27, 2020 4:45 pm  #2

Re: Why News Voice In Simon & Garfunkel's "Silent Night" Is Very Familiar

Thanks for the insight on S&G's Silent Night/7 O'Clock News aflem.  The  "updated/current news cover" by Phoebe Bridgers is very interesting - if you disregard her repugnant volatility expressed in her comment referencing her family.

December 29, 2020 12:56 am  #3

Re: Why News Voice In Simon & Garfunkel's "Silent Night" Is Very Familiar

I have to confess it's a treat to see Charlie O'Donnell mentioned.  Prior to W.O.F., he was a mid-day jock on KRLA, Los Angeles.  Back in the 1980's, my brother worked at CBS Hollywood where Wheel was taped.  I dropped by one day and Wheel was just about to get underway so he got me into the audience.  After the show was over, I wandered up to the stage and called out the Charlie.  He came right over and we had a very pleasant few minutes visiting, especially talking about radio DJ stories.  I think he liked that I wanted to talk with him, not Pat or Vanna.  A great guy!!

Board footera