The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 30, 2020 9:01 pm  #1

The Missing Lyrics From "Take Me Home Country Roads" You Never Heard

I love finding out stuff like this. According to the article below, there was an additional verse to the John Denver classic "Take Me Home Country Roads" that never made it to the recording. That's because the co-writer wisely realized that the words would never get played on 1970s radio.

It's just one of the stories behind this classic tune, that also includes the fact it was originally never intended for Denver at all. 

Co-Writer of ‘Take Me Home, Country Roads' Dispels Myths Surrounding Song's Origins 

December 31, 2020 5:50 am  #2

Re: The Missing Lyrics From "Take Me Home Country Roads" You Never Heard

to set the record straight, the song was in fact written by denver, bill danoff, and taffy nivert (then, danoff's girlfriend) and is generally credited as such.

Last edited by gopher (December 31, 2020 5:52 am)

December 31, 2020 7:18 am  #3

Hard to believe Danoff was involved in writing such a good tune, when he was also the writer of Afternoon Delight which, IMO, is the most cringe-worthy song of all time.

December 31, 2020 8:09 am  #4

Roman wrote:

Hard to believe Danoff was involved in writing such a good tune, when he was also the writer of Afternoon Delight which, IMO, is the most cringe-worthy song of all time.

With apologies to Smokey Robinson, I second that emotion! Can't think of a song that sends me to change the dial faster than that one. 

December 31, 2020 9:00 am  #5

A little extension to this song:

We have children's authors come into our elementary school once a year, and twice in my 20 years, last year being the latest, we invited the illustrator Christopher Canyon .  He is the illustrator of the book, "Take Me Home, Country Roads", an adaptation of John's song with beautiful illustrations.  He has a wonderful way with the kids as he explains how he and his wife put the pictures to the words of the song. He ultimately picks up his guitar, invites us all to sing along with him to this song.  Alas, as the children and staff become younger each year, I was about the only one in the audience singing along.

December 31, 2020 9:04 am  #6

I wonder what the pictures in that book would look like if they'd left that verse in!

December 31, 2020 10:19 am  #7

aflem wrote:

I wonder what the pictures in that book would look like if they'd left that verse in!

lol  or if our school would invite him at all!  lol

December 31, 2020 3:40 pm  #8

aflem wrote:

Roman wrote:

With apologies to Smokey Robinson, I second that emotion! Can't think of a song that sends me to change the dial faster than that one. 

For me the cringe-worthiest dial changing song is Paul Anka's "Having My Baby" which may have resulted from a little afternoon delight!!

Happy New Year everybody!!

Board footera