The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2021 9:19 pm  #1

What Might Have Been - Beatles Songs In The Public Domain?

Here's a weird factoid I came across.

Under current copyright law, works that were created in 1925 have now officially entered the public domain as of the New Year. That means tomes like "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald are now free for the taking without having to pay for their use. 

The list of what's officially in the public domain as of 2021. 

But it wasn't always that way. 

Before 1976, music, books or movies had only a 56 year total copyright life before they became everyone's property. Luckily, the law changed, or songs by The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and others (including the movie "Mary Poppins" ) released in 1964 would all have been in the public domain as of Jan. 1st. Hard to believe "A Hard Day's Night," "If I Fell," "And I Love Her," and "Can't Buy Me Love" would no longer have had protection. 

Neither would "It's All Over Now" by the Stones, The Beach Boys' "I Get Around," and Roy Orbison's "Oh Pretty Woman." (The recordings themselves are under a different law, but it means the songs could have been performed or used by anyone who wanted to without payment.) 

Here's a look at some of the tunes that could have been free this year if the law hadn't changed:

• The Beatles, A Hard Day’s Night, Can’t Buy Me Love, And I Love Her (w & m John Lennon & Paul McCartney)
  • It’s All Over Now (w & m Bobby Womack & Shirley Womack, recorded by The Rolling Stones)
  • As Tears Go By (w & m Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, & Andrew Loog Oldham, recorded by Marianne Faithfull)
  • You Really Got Me (w & m Ray Davies, recorded by The Kinks)
  • Songs from Fiddler on the Roof, including If I Were a Rich Man (w Sheldon Harnick & m Jerry Bock)
  • Oh, Pretty Woman (w & m Roy Orbison & Bill Dees)
  • Hang on Sloopy (as “My Girl Sloopy”, w & m Bert Russell & Wes Farrell)
  • Baby I Need Your Loving (w & m Eddie Holland, Lamont Dozier, & Brian Holland)
  • I Get Around (w & m Brian Wilson)
  • The theme song from The Addams Family (w & m Vic Mizzy)
  • The Ballad of Gilligan’s Isle (w & m Sherwood Schwartz & George Wyle)

You would be free to download sheet music for these songs, publicly perform them, or set a short film to them, all without permission or fee. You could quote the full lyrics in a book or article, without fear of a lawsuit. Today these musical works remain copyrighted until 2060." 

More here on what else might have been freed up if the law hadn't changed.

January 3, 2021 5:55 pm  #2

Re: What Might Have Been - Beatles Songs In The Public Domain?

Interesting...  Kind of like the Antiques Roadshow:  the estimators/antique dealers give you an estimate or range as to what the value is, many times the estimated auction value.  Bad news: then they tell you the value had circumstances been different, e.g. a small tear, crack, faded colors, or the market has been in a downward spiral.  Then you think, "So what!  What I have is a degraded item that isn't what you're suggesting it COULD BE..."  Oh well...   (;>)))

Last edited by Little Rich (January 3, 2021 5:56 pm)

Board footera