The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 7, 2021 11:37 am  #1

COMMENTARY: The Guess Who deserve a spot in the Rock Hall of Fame

Since the Hall began honouring musical pioneers 35 years ago, about 230 artists have been inducted, the vast majority of which are American. Approximately 35 are British, although The Beatles account for five of those inductions (the group plus each individual member) and Rod Stewart for two (with The Small Faces and as a solo artist). Two are from Ireland (U2 and Van Morrison), two from Jamaica (Bob Marley and Jimmy Cliff), and one from Sweden (ABBA).
How many Canadians? Five: The Band, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young (twice, once as a solo artist and as a member of the Buffalo Springfield), Leonard Cohen, and Rush. That’s barely two per cent of the total, something that seems very wrong for a country that has exported so much music to the rest of the world.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7558994/guess-who-rock-hall-of-fame/

January 7, 2021 3:05 pm  #2

Re: COMMENTARY: The Guess Who deserve a spot in the Rock Hall of Fame

Country of origin really has nothing to do with it. The Guess Who should be in because of their track record of hits, sales and radio play around the world. For the same reason, folks south of the border can and should question why Paul Revere & The Raiders aren't in, and Brits can only shake their heads about Joe Cocker being left out. As for the meager number of Canadians represented in the Hall, if I had my druthers I'd actually reduce the number by one act because I don't think they deserve the limelight.

January 8, 2021 3:48 am  #3

the general public may not know or care, but to those who have paid attention, the rock hall lost whatever cachet it may have had many years ago, by inducting acts which have had nothing to do with rock 'n' roll other than competing with or exceeding it, in pop or other market sales which in theory could be extrapolated and exploited so as to be sold  in some way seemingly related to the genre..

in the last several decades, the hall's main objective seems only to promote those who have box set or cother collected works which could be widely marketed using its brand. other than to certainly take advantage of that, the guess who really have little to gain in prestige or acclaim which they have not already earned worldwide, should they be inducted in my opinion. at this point other than to promote sales the 'award' amounts to about as much as being named an honorary civitan, or something, near as i can tell.

that said, if it has not already done so, the museum in cleveland should certainly devote some space, at least for a time, to the band's history and available memorabilia, especially in regard to the late kurt winter, who, i think, brought as much or more to the band as did any founding member who preceeded him within it.

Last edited by gopher (January 8, 2021 8:25 am)

January 8, 2021 6:02 am  #4

Guess Who is a band who should have been inducted a long time ago. Their music is diverse and they've had many hits.  Not just hits, good hits. Good solid hits.  They were a big part of my teen years.  

January 8, 2021 6:04 am  #5

Roman wrote:

Country of origin really has nothing to do with it. The Guess Who should be in because of their track record of hits, sales and radio play around the world. For the same reason, folks south of the border can and should question why Paul Revere & The Raiders aren't in, and Brits can only shake their heads about Joe Cocker being left out. As for the meager number of Canadians represented in the Hall, if I had my druthers I'd actually reduce the number by one act because I don't think they deserve the limelight.

I'm very, very curious to learn which act you would would eliminate.  Care to share?

January 8, 2021 6:33 am  #6

It's me Karen wrote:

Roman wrote:

I'm very, very curious to learn which act you would would eliminate.  Care to share?

Rush. They are, or in Neil Peart's case, were, fine musicians but I just can't handle Geddy Lee's voice. It also bothers me that he has behind-home-plate Blue Jay season tickets so I have to look at him (and think of his voice) for nine innings during a TV broadcast.

January 8, 2021 7:57 am  #7

Roman wrote:

It's me Karen wrote:

Roman wrote:

Rush. They are, or in Neil Peart's case, were, fine musicians but I just can't handle Geddy Lee's voice. It also bothers me that he has behind-home-plate Blue Jay season tickets so I have to look at him (and think of his voice) for nine innings during a TV broadcast.

Thanks for sharing.  I thought you were going to say someone else.

Board footera