The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2021 10:31 am  #1

I say no

Did Paul McCartney reacquire the publishing rights to all of The Beatles songs? If so, it's pretty worrisome to see a new Superbowl tv ad for a marketplace app where someone is selling their popcorn maker, set to the Fab Four's 'Hello Goodbye'. Neil Young and Bob Dylan recently sold part or all of their song catalogue, maintaining that their integrity will never be sacrificed. I'm not holding my breath. How long will it be before Heart of Gold becomes the tag line for a Gold Bond anti-itch cream? I still can't get over the fact that they used Johnny Cash's 'Ring of Fire' in a Preparation H commercial.

January 28, 2021 4:31 pm  #2

Re: I say no

Absolutely disgusting Roman, I couldn't agree more.  The answer:  NGO donate enough to buy the artists out, then share the music, pro bono, to all the fans.  You know - US!!   Free market enterprise!!  (:>))))
There is so much stuff on the media now including personal hygiene and physiological dysfunction-type Rx (e.g. PD).  Stuff I don't remember being advertised when I was a kid - a year or three ago.  The Good News:  we get to hear the oldies, just not necessarily in the "normal" context.  I remember the TV ads from decades ago that had the "old music" at that time and compare that to the music they're playing now, tunes from the 60s, 70s and 80s, depending on the age bracket the sponsor is trying to appeal to, e.g. daytime news, soaps: appealing to the "senior citizens" since they are the only ones watching news and soaps during the day.

January 28, 2021 11:30 pm  #3

Roman wrote:

Did Paul McCartney reacquire the publishing rights to all of The Beatles songs? If so, it's pretty worrisome to see a new Superbowl tv ad for a marketplace app where someone is selling their popcorn maker, set to the Fab Four's 'Hello Goodbye'. Neil Young and Bob Dylan recently sold part or all of their song catalogue, maintaining that their integrity will never be sacrificed. I'm not holding my breath. How long will it be before Heart of Gold becomes the tag line for a Gold Bond anti-itch cream? I still can't get over the fact that they used Johnny Cash's 'Ring of Fire' in a Preparation H commercial.

if it happened, i missed it. my understanding is that rosanne cash turned down the prep h offer. but i have no idea if she solely controls johnny's publishing, though i know she has at least a piece of it. if the commercial does exist, she must have been out-voted.

Last edited by gopher (January 29, 2021 9:47 am)

January 28, 2021 11:57 pm  #4

Little Rich wrote:

NGO 

narcoleptic groovy ocelots???

January 29, 2021 12:09 am  #5

Oh goph - you deserve either a cheroot or a Cuban or both.  Congrats!!!
And thanks for the entertainment!!

Last edited by Little Rich (January 29, 2021 12:12 am)

January 29, 2021 12:24 am  #6

Roman wrote:

Did Paul McCartney reacquire the publishing rights to all of The Beatles songs? If so, it's pretty worrisome to see a new Superbowl tv ad for a marketplace app where someone is selling their popcorn maker, set to the Fab Four's 'Hello Goodbye'....

They couldn’t use the song “Popcorn”, it was already selling baby wipes.

January 29, 2021 9:09 am  #7

Little Rich wrote:

thanks (i think 8^}), but that doesn't answer my question.

"speak plain, saves time." --dennis hopper line from "the texas chainsaw massacre" film.

norbert's goat opry? how should i know, unless you tell me?

Last edited by gopher (January 29, 2021 9:13 am)

January 29, 2021 9:16 am  #8

gopher wrote:

Roman wrote:

if it happened, i missed it. my understanding is that roseanne cash turned down the prep h offer. but i have no idea if she solely controls johnny's publishing, though i know she has at least a piece of it. if the commercial does exist, she must have been out-voted.

I was going on recall re the Prep H commercial which, in my case, is always a dangerous thing. I looked it up and it does appear that the Cash turned down the cash.

January 29, 2021 9:51 am  #9

gopher wrote:

Little Rich wrote:

"speak plain, saves time." --dennis hopper line from "the texas chainsaw massacre" film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-governmental_organization

January 29, 2021 10:07 am  #10

Roman wrote:

gopher wrote:

Roman wrote:

if it happened, i missed it. my understanding is that roseanne cash turned down the prep h offer. but i have no idea if she solely controls johnny's publishing, though i know she has at least a piece of it. if the commercial does exist, she must have been out-voted.

I was going on recall re the Prep H commercial which, in my case, is always a dangerous thing. I looked it up and it does appear that the Cash turned down the cash.

But the commercial does exist

January 29, 2021 10:16 am  #11

January 29, 2021 10:45 am  #12

Taz wrote:

Roman wrote:

gopher wrote:

But the commercial does exist

It's not a real commercial. It was created by a couple of yahoos, as the credit underneath suggests.

January 29, 2021 12:47 pm  #13

Lorne wrote:

gopher wrote:

Little Rich wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-governmental_organization

thanks, lorne. might've spent years trying to decipher the code. norbert's goat opry does sound like a great name for a psychedelic bluegrass band though, don't you think?

Last edited by gopher (January 29, 2021 12:56 pm)

January 29, 2021 5:04 pm  #14

gopher wrote:

thanks, lorne. might've spent years trying to decipher the code. norbert's goat opry does sound like a great name for a psychedelic bluegrass band though, don't you think?

It definitely sounds like something that Dave Barry would say would be a good name for a rock band, so I'm sure we could extend the concept to psychedelic bluegrass as well. Anyway, glad I could help clarify things. 

January 30, 2021 1:07 am  #15

gopher wrote:

Little Rich wrote:

Got it Lorne.

Last edited by Little Rich (January 30, 2021 1:44 am)

Board footera