The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 5, 2021 8:32 pm  #1

One Night In Miami with Leslie Odom Jr starring as Sam Cooke

Released this past Christmas Day, the docudrama, One Night In Miami, is about a meeting that Sam Cooke, Malcolm X, Mohamed Ali (then Cassius Clay) and Jim Brown, had one evening that changed history.  I guess I was asleep at the wheel because I JUST found out about it moments ago.  The soundtrack includes You Send Me, A Change Is Gonna Come, Chain Gang, Good Times, as well as several other tunes from that time including Tammy, I Love You For Sentimental Reasons.  Impressive soundtrack.  Leslie Odom, Jr, who starred as Aaron Burr in the Broadway musical, Hamilton, sings many of the songs
From that meeting, these four men decided the time had come.  And as a once-famous radio commentator, Paul Harvey, used to say, "...and the rest of the story..."  History was changed and this meeting led to, among other historic outcomes, some great music by Sam Cooke, one of the greatest R&B singers/songwriters of all time!!

Available, livestream, on Amazon Prime.

February 6, 2021 7:10 pm  #2

Re: One Night In Miami with Leslie Odom Jr starring as Sam Cooke

arguably one of the greatest live recordings of all time: "sam cooke at the harlem square club" miami.

February 6, 2021 8:44 pm  #3

Re: One Night In Miami with Leslie Odom Jr starring as Sam Cooke

Wikipedia confirms your comment Gopher - not that you need confirmation.  I just wanted more info.  Cooke was one of the greatest R&B, not only in his time, but contemporary as well.  IMHO.  I rarely listen to live performances BUT I do have a a few recordings of live, e.g. Woodstock, which are evocative.  Thx for sharing Gopher.

Board footera