The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 2, 2019 11:28 am  #1

Follow-Up Songs That Sounded The Same

On several occasions in the 50's and 60's, artists followed up a hit record with a song that sounded exactly the same - only the lyrics were different.

Here are some examples:

In 1961, Gary U.S. Bonds had a #5 hit with "School is Out", and then immediately followed it up with "School Is In", which peaked at #28 on the charts.

In 1957, The Bobbettes ""Mr. Lee" reached #6 on the charts.  After two years without a hit, they issued an answer/sound-alike song, "I shot Mr. Lee", which only made it to #52.

Diane Renay peaked at #6 in March of '64 with "Navy Blue".  In May she released "Kiss Me Sailor",  which reached #29 on the charts.

Any others that you are aware of?

April 2, 2019 2:26 pm  #2

Re: Follow-Up Songs That Sounded The Same

The Four Tops first release (hit) was "I Can't Help Myself", followed up by "It's the Same Old Song".  Don't know if the title was referencing the melody or not, but remember it being mentioned by either Art Roberts or Larry Lujack on WLS.  It was a long time ago!

April 4, 2019 2:09 pm  #3

Reflections     Like Columbus Did  after (Just Like) Romeo and Juliet
Randy & The Rainbows   Why Do Kids Grow Up  after  Denise

April 13, 2019 7:39 am  #4

I liked the two of them, but I thought that Neil Sedaka's "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" and the follow-up "Next Door To An Angel" were both cut at the same session.

April 17, 2019 7:08 pm  #5

I never thought "The Same Old Song " and "I Can't Help Myself" sounded alike. I did think "I Can't Help Myself " and the Supremes "Where Did Our Love Go", which came first, were the same melody.

Board footera