The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 21, 2021 10:10 pm  #1

A Salute!!

He's not been mentioned too many times here on the board, but one of my all time favorites is Johnny Tillotson.  From 1959 to 1969 he landed 26 hits on the Cashbox 100, 13 that made the Top 40 with his biggest "Poetry In Motion" hitting the #2 spot in late 1960.  Just as "Poetry.." was starting it's run, Johnny was on a tour with Roy Orbison and Mark Dinning.   They had a stop in Wichita Falls, TX so my buddy and I (in the USAF at nearby Sheppard AFB) headed into town to take in the show.  We were early so we stopped in to the local record store.  I was standing near the door when Johnny came walking in.  I managed to shake his hand as he headed by.  I was already a bit of a fan since his "Why Do I Love You So" had reached #8 on the KRLA (Los Angeles) Top 50 earlier in the year.  Since that was my senior year in high school, it was around when all kinds of great memories were taking place.  We really enjoyed the show, notable that Roy was wearing a rhinestone cowboy outfit in those days.  Two years later, in the Fall of 1962, when I started my radio career, Johnny's hit of "It Keep's Right On A-Hurtin'" had just finished it's run, but the LP of the same name was on our playlist and I played at least one track every show.  Thanks Johnny, for the hits and a lot of good music!

Board footera