The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 4, 2019 12:34 am  #1

Story III

When I was the morning DJ at KMOR, 1230 AM in Salt Lake City(1966), I was also the music and production director.  That meant I was in charge of our Top 40 C&W chart, and responsible for making sure all the commercials were ready to air.  As long as everything was ready to go, I was free to come and go as I pleased when I wasn't on the air.  We had a solid working relationship with the local music hall and their publicity chief (First name "Bud'), and when anybody came town that was close to our "light C&W" format, they would drop in for an on-air interview.  Now and then, Bud would give me a call and ask if I could be part of a welcoming group to greet the star at the airport when they arrived.  Two stars I met that way were Jack Benny and Jimmy Durante.  For a third, it worked out a little different.  After the customary hello's and questions, I was heading out the door to my car when I heard "Hey Jim, can you give the guys a lift to their hotel?".I had a big 1963 wide-track Pontiac that was quite roomy, so I said "Sure!"  So that's how it happened that I had Tom & Dick Smothers in the back seat of my car as we left the airport.  At that time, they'd had 5 chart LP's (2 went gold) but hadn't launched their TV show.  We exchanged a few pleasantries but nothing profound.  Later that night I saw their show and really enjoyed their act, especially the "vicious pumas and the 'cravesses'".bit.  They were pleasant to me and easy to be around.

Board footera