The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 9, 2019 3:37 am  #1

Jim Glaser

Had hoped to find a mention here about Jim.  We lost him Saturday night, shocking to me.  Not only as the Glaser Brother with the most beautiful voice, but he deserves a shout-out here as the writer of Gary Puckett's huge hit Woman Woman.

April 9, 2019 9:34 am  #2

Re: Jim Glaser

Thanks, Flo. I just did a Google News search, and at this point only one news article about him is coming up. Here it is.
https://theboot.com/jim-glaser-dead-dies/

April 9, 2019 11:50 am  #3

As a long time fan of Tompall & The Glaser Brothers, it is sad to see Jim pass away.  "Loving Her Was Easier" is my own personal favorite karaoke song and whoever they got to put in the harmony track did a decent job.  I love just blending in with their harmonies.  Jim also did a great job in singing "Woman, Woman" in one of the "family reunion Opry gatherings".  Thanks Jim and join in with the "Hillbilly Choir" waiting for you past the Pearly Gates, a great harmony singer is always welcome and needed.

April 9, 2019 12:46 pm  #4

Lorne wrote:

Thanks, Flo. I just did a Google News search, and at this point only one news article about him is coming up. Here it is.
https://theboot.com/jim-glaser-dead-dies/

That was the first one I was able to come up with after rumors started.  Pretty detailed and respectful.

Lorne, did y ou notice a the end of the article they did a recap (with really nice pictures) of recent deaths.  Several I was unaware of, most notably Whitey Shafer and Fred Foster.  FRED FOSTER!!  How important is he??!!  Founder of Monument Records, all those great Roy songs, allowing Roy to find his voice, something even the great Chet Atkins couldn't do.  Dolly Parton's first Nashville label, Ray Stevens had a nice creative streak there,  Jump starting Jeannie Seely's career with the great Don't Touch Me.  And the very first Monument Record, Billy Grammer's Gotta Travel On.  Don't know  how I missed the story about Fred, but he deserves to be discussed. 

Last edited by Flo (April 10, 2019 1:33 am)

April 10, 2019 2:47 pm  #5

Thanks, Flo for noting the Fred Foster passing, and all of his musical contributions.  While it wasn't a big hit, Jerry Byrd's "Memories Of Maria" was a Monument single and one of my long time favorites.  Fred did several of the "Opry Reunion" gatherings and told some great stories.

April 10, 2019 2:59 pm  #6

I'd like to also add my thanks to Flo, and to Jim as well. I hadn't looked at those passings at the end of the article, and I definitely agree that Foster's is worth noting here. 

April 12, 2019 12:59 am  #7

Jim, your mention of Jerry Byrd made me think of how Foster didn't fear instrumentals - all those Boots Randolph and Charlie McCoy albums.

Board footera