The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 9, 2021 2:12 pm  #1

Elton John Says He Never Wants To Perform This Massive Hit Again

It's one of my favorite Elton John songs and it was a deserved #1. But apparently the guy who wrote it "as a joke" can't wait for his farewell tour to end and vows to never perform it again.

E.J. has a history of trying to make headlines and I hope that's all this is. I can't imagine going to one of his concerts and not hearing "Crocodile Rock."

The Song Elton John Vows To Stop Performing

Last edited by aflem (May 9, 2021 2:43 pm)

May 9, 2021 5:49 pm  #2

Re: Elton John Says He Never Wants To Perform This Massive Hit Again

Yeah, something like Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start The Fire."  He says that remains the #1 request by people at concerts.  He hates it - says it is a meaningless ramble - my paraphrasing.  Too bad because I like that and EJ's "Crocodile Rock."

May 9, 2021 6:17 pm  #3

I always find it fascinating when members of a group or a musician hates the song that becomes a huge hit and then is forced to perform it over and over in concert forever. One great example was "Monday Monday," which every member of The Mamas & The Papas (except for John Phillips) hated and thought would be a flop. I believe it became their biggest hit ever. 

I suspect it was a little easier to sing when it sold millions of copies - including, when I was still a kid, one to me!

May 10, 2021 6:02 am  #4

Little Anthony always said he hated "Shimmy, Shimmy Ko-Ko-Bop.

The Turtles (primarily Howard Kaylan) wrote "Elenore" as a joke ("you're my pride and joy et cetera") to fulfill a contractual obligation with the record company. They considered it a stupid song. Here's Howard Kaylan:

"Elenore was a parody of "Happy Together." It was never intended to be a straight-forward song. It was meant as an anti-love letter to White Whale [Records], who were constantly on our backs to bring them another "Happy Together." So I gave them a very skewed version. Not only with the chords changed, but with all these bizarre words. It was my feeling that they would listen to how strange and stupid the song was and leave us alone. But they didn't get the joke. They thought it sounded good."

May 10, 2021 4:24 pm  #5

This is turning into an interesting thread about such songs. Here's another example. 
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/paul-simon-plays-song-he-hates/

May 10, 2021 6:38 pm  #6

Johnny Maestro and the Brooklynn Bridge had a minor hit in 1969 (peaked at #46) with "Your Husband, My Wife".  It was a song about marital infidelity, and Johnny said that he and the group did not feel comfortable singing it.  "It just didn't feel right to us", Maestro said.

May 11, 2021 10:44 pm  #7

I remember that Brooklyn Bridge song. The chorus went, "What are we going to do about your husband? And what are we going to do about my wife?" And no, there was no doubt what it was about. Really ahead of its time if you think about it. 

Another song a group hated turned out to be the biggest break of their lives. At the time Motown was trying to find a breakthrough record for what they jokingly called the No-Hit Supremes, because they kept releasing material that went nowhere. 

And then came "Where Did Our Love Go?" which all them hated and didn't want to record because of the "Baby Baby" stuff that made up the lyrical hook. In fact, they thought it was their last chance with the label and would ruin them for good.

Instead, it became the first of their endless #1s and I suspect they didn't hate it quite so much after it launched them into the stratosphere.

It's still my favorite Supremes song. 

May 12, 2021 2:10 pm  #8

aflem wrote:

I remember that Brooklyn Bridge song. The chorus went, "What are we going to do about your husband? And what are we going to do about my wife?" And no, there was no doubt what it was about. Really ahead of its time if you think about it. 

Another song a group hated turned out to be the biggest break of their lives. At the time Motown was trying to find a breakthrough record for what they jokingly called the No-Hit Supremes, because they kept releasing material that went nowhere. 

And then came "Where Did Our Love Go?" which all them hated and didn't want to record because of the "Baby Baby" stuff that made up the lyrical hook. In fact, they thought it was their last chance with the label and would ruin them for good.

Instead, it became the first of their endless #1s and I suspect they didn't hate it quite so much after it launched them into the stratosphere.

It's still my favorite Supremes song. 

Recording "Where Did Our Love Go" song was like pulling teeth.  The Supremes were at the very bottom of Gordy's talent list at the time, one Top 40 song in two years - classic prima donnas.  Very smurky, demanding with attitudes.  Conversely, Gordy's diamond songwriters, H-D-H, handed them their Last Chance Ticket - "Where Did Our Love Go" and they snubbed it because it had been turned down by the Marvelettes. The Supremes "...KNEW it was a loser."  The recording studio was a re-enactment of the Battle of the Bulge:  H-D-H were trying to get them to sing with some emotion; there was emotion alright - they were throwing obscenities back and forth at on another, at one point throwing more than obscenities.  The studio was too small, Diana Ross had never sung in that low a key - it was a REAL ATTITUDE rearing its ugly head.  They had NINE #1 hits within three years (1964-67) of their first #1, running neck and neck with the Beatles during their heyday.  IMHO Diana Ross has a great voice but she has a REAL attitude.  I grew up in Motown and it was "hot of the hot" music at the time.  Lots of brand new talent under one brilliant, shrewd CEO.

Board footera