The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 20, 2021 8:27 pm  #1

Terrific Documentary Traces The History of The Seekers

They had only a few really big hits in North America - "I'll Never Find Another You," "A World of Our Own," and "Georgy Girl." But after watching this remarkable half hour documentary produced by Australia's ABC a few years ago, I realized just how big they were Down Under, where they became superstars almost comparable to The Beatles. 

The special reveals what it was like at the beginning, the typically bureaucratic reason the BBC originally refused to play their records, why they broke up so suddenly at the height of their fame, how they tried not to resent The New Seekers ("I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing"), and how they all came back together 25 years later.

I started to watch it and couldn't stop. Not sure if you'll find it as interesting, but it's a bit of rock history I never knew. 

May 21, 2021 12:19 am  #2

Re: Terrific Documentary Traces The History of The Seekers

Thx for sharing this very interesting insight into the Seekers.  I REALLY liked what they did - they are one of my personal top folk-rock groups.  On A Personal Note: About 35 years ago, my wife of +46 years and I attended a 4-day marriage renewal, called Marriage Encounter, and the theme song to the Encounter was "I'll Never Find Another You" by the Seekers.  Wow!!  Truly a a rich, meaningful, evocative appropriate song for the experience we had.  They re truly an outstanding group.

Board footera